The Heart of Mathematics: An Invitation to Effective Thinking, 4th Edition
December 2012, ©2013
Transform your mathematics course into an engaging and mind-opening experience for even your most math-phobic students. Now in its Fourth Edition, The Heart of Mathematics: An Invitation to Effective Thinking succeeds at reaching non-math, non-science-oriented majors, encouraging them to discover the mathematics inherent in the world around them. Infused with the authors' humor and enthusiasm throughout, The Heart of Mathematics introduces students to the most important and interesting ideas in mathematics while inspiring them to actively engage in mathematical thinking.
Chapter 1: Fun and Games: An Introduction to Rigorous Thought
Chapter 2: Number Contemplation
Chapter 3: Infinity
Chapter 4: Geometric Gems
Chapter 5: Contortions of Space
Chapter 6: Modeling Our World Through Graphs
Chapter 7: Fractals and Chaos
Chapter 8: Taming Uncertainty
Chapter 9: Meaning from Data
Chapter 10: Deciding Wisely
- “For the Algebra Lover” Mindscapes in each section. These problems were added for students who want to practice their computational skills and for professors who prefer to integrate more algebra into this course.
- Chapter 6 on graph theory.
- Accessible, student-friendly writing style engages students to read and understand the concepts and encourages critical thinking.
- “Life Lessons” offer effective methods of thinking that students will retain and apply beyond the classroom.
- End-of-section Mindscape activities for the development of application, problem solving, and argumentation skills.
- Activities that encourage collaborative learning and group work like the hands-on manipulative kit that directs students to model their thinking and actively explore the world around them.
- “A Look Back” provide a review of concepts taught in that section
- Technology Icon located throughout the book indicates that there’s an interactive activity available online (e-manipulatives)
- Visual techniques that inspire students to model their thinking and actively explore the world around them.
- WileyPLUS, for The Heart of Mathematics: An Invitation to Effective Thinking, 4th Edition, provides a research based, online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS builds students’ confidence because it takes the guesswork out of studying by providing students with a clear roadmap: what to do, how to do it, if they did it right.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.