The Practical Researcher: A Student Guide to Conducting Psychological Research, 3rd Edition
November 2012, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Chapter 1: The Why and How of Psychological Research
Chapter 2: Research Approaches and Generating Ideas
Chapter 3: Searching and Reading the Psychological Literature
Chapter 4: Writing: A First and Last Consideration
Chapter 5: Ethical Considerations in the Practice Of Research
Chapter 6: Experimental Research
Chapter 7: Applied and Field Research: Non-experimental Approaches
Chapter 8: Planning Analysis and Displaying Data
Chapter 9: Presenting and Publishing Research
Chapter 10: Closing Thoughts and Future Directions
- The book and all examples in it adhere to the 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA, 2010).
- A new, annotated APA-style sample student paper (Appendix A).
- A new example (texting while driving) is used to illustrate the research loop of experimentation (chapter 1).
- A detailed example critique of a student-generated research topic to improve the idea (chapter 2).
- A new participant observation examples (chapter 2).
- A sample email to a professional psychologist requesting information (chapter 3).
- Advice on finding and referencing doi (Digital Object Identifier) numbers for research sources (chapter 3).
- A new outline based on the APA-style student paper (chapter 4).
- Additional examples for writing operational definitions (chapter 4).
- Recommendations on using random number generators (chapter 6).
- Encouragement to try online survey softway (e.g., SurveyMonkey) and to consult quality websites for online personality measures (chapter 7).
- Additional discussion of experience sampling as well as internet-based research approaches (chapter 7).
- A rubric designed to help students plan and deliver oral presentations (chapter 9).
- Tips for giving an effective PowerPoint presentation (chapter 9).
- A sample APA-style poster done by a student and faculty member (chapter 9).
- Discussion of psychology as a "hub science" (chapter 10).
- A new sample student vita (Appendix D).
- Over 40 new or updated citations.
- Step-by-step approach leaders students through the process of developing and conducting a research project (solo or in a group) from start to finish, from generating a topic to writing an APA style report
- New Doing Research decision trees open each chapter and guide students through the active learning exercises that inform the research process
- Research Foundations boxes explore common issues encountered by researchers and use examples to bring research to life
- Practical tools and tips for doing research appear throughout such as writing an experimental script, operationalizing independent and dependent variables, and creating manipulation checks, among many others.
- Over 40 Active Learning Exercises help students build practical skills such as creating a project time line, developing a peer research contract, using a random numbers table, and reporting results in poster or paper form, among many others
- Generating Research Ideas section provides easy to follow guidelines for developing ideas by using freewriting, keeping a research notebook, or brainstorming research ideas alone or as a research team
- Critical thinking is emphasized when searching, reading, and writing about psychological literature
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.