Visualizing Psychology, 3rd Edition
December 2012, ©2013
Visualizing Psychology 3rd Edition helps students examine their own personal studying and learning styles with several new pedagogical aids--encouraging students to apply what they are learning to their everyday lives while offering ongoing study tips and psychological techniques for mastering the material. Most importantly, students are provided with numerous opportunities to immediately access their understanding.
1 Introduction and Research Methods 2
Introducing Psychology 4
Origins of Psychology 7
The Science of Psychology 12
Research Methods 15
Strategies for Student Success 23
2 Neuroscience and Biological Foundations 32
Our Genetic Inheritance 34
Neural Bases of Behavior 38
Nervous System Organization 44
A Tour Through the Brain 50
3 Stress and Health Psychology 64
Understanding Stress 66
Stress and Illness 72
Health Psychology and Stress Management 76
4 Sensation and Perception 86
Understanding Sensation 88
How We See and Hear 93
Our Other Important Senses 98
Understanding Perception 101
5 States of Consciousness 118
Consciousness, Sleep, and Dreaming 120
Psychoactive Drugs 130
Meditation and Hypnosis 137
6 Learning 146
Classical Conditioning 148
Operant Conditioning 155
Cognitive-Social Learning 163
Biology of Learning 167
7 Memory 174
The Nature of Memory 176
Biological Bases of Memory 189
Memory Distortions 192
8 Thinking, Language, and Intelligence 200
The Intelligence Controversy 218
9 Lifespan Development I 228
Studying Development 230
Physical Development 234
Cognitive Development 243
10 Lifespan Development II 256
Social, Moral, and Personality Development 258
How Sex, Gender, and Culture Affect Development 266
Developmental Challenges Through Adulthood 272
11 Motivation and Emotion 282
Theories of Motivation 284
Motivation and Behavior 289
Components and Theories of Emotion 299
12 Personality 312
Psychoanalytic/Psychodynamic Theories 314
Trait Theories 319
Humanistic Theories 323
Social-Cognitive Theories 326
Biological Theories 328
Personality Assessment 330
13 Psychological Disorders 340
Studying Psychological Disorders 342
Anxiety Disorders 348
Mood Disorders 352
Other Disorders 361
How Gender and Culture Affect Abnormal Behavior 364
14 Therapy 374
Talk Therapies 376
Behavior Therapies 384
Biomedical Therapies 387
Psychotherapy in Perspective 391
15 Social Psychology 402
Social Cognition 404
Social Influence 408
Social Relations 417
Name Index 491
Subject Index 502
- Myth Busters sections now open each chapter. While studying the myths about psychology, students easily learn some of the most important terms and concepts while honing critical thinking skills.
- Psychological Science boxed readings now include self-testing exercises asking students to identify the methodology and structure within the presented research project.
- The third edition of Visualizing Psychology's interior design has been entirely revamped, making the book more functional and engaging to the student reader.
- Chapter 6 Learning and Chapter 15 Social Psychology have been thoroughly revised based on user feedback with new expanded coverage of key topics.
- The Visualizing Psychology learning program has been enhanced by the inclusion of the Author Tutorial Videos (featuring Karen Huffman) and Virtual Field Trip Videos in the WileyPLUS course.
- Chapter Introductions: Featured alongside compelling photographs, these chapter openers illustrate certain psychological concepts with concise stories to pique the reader's interest in what's to come. Also included in the chapter opener is an outline listing the main sections and features of the chapter.
- Process Diagrams: a series of figures or a combination of figures and photos that illustrate a complex process, allowing students to observe, follow, and understand the demonstrated topic.
- Psychology InSight: specifically designed multipart spreads that focus on a key concept in a chapter using a combination of figures and photos to present concepts in a broader context
- What a Psychologist Sees: Highlights in photos and figures a phenomenon that would stand out to a professional in the field, increasing a student's observational skills.
- What is happening in this picture?: an end-of-chapter feature that shows students a picture relevant to the chapter topics, paired with critical thinking questions to stimulate creative thought.
- Learning Objectives: offered at the beginning of each section explains what students must be able to do to demonstrate mastery of the material in the chapter.
- Marginal Glossary Terms: introduce the chapter's most important terms in green boldface type.
- Tables and Graphs: complete with source citations, summarize the important information at the end of the text.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.