Health Economics and Financing, 5th Edition
November 2012, ©2013
Health Economics and Financing serves as the
perfect primer for the economic analysis of medical markets. It
prepares students of medicine, public health, policy and
administration who wish to engage the central economic issues of
their field—without extensive mathematics or highly technical
Getzen’s text includes effective explanations of how and why health and medicine are both like and unlike other economic goods, as well as knowledge about institutional features, for students who intend to go into this unique and rewarding line of work.
Health Economics and Financing serves as an excellent primer for introducing students to the principles and core concepts of health economics rather than its literature, equations, or research methods.
About the Author xxvi
1 Choices: Money, Medicine, and Health 1
2 Demand and Supply 23
3 Cost–Benefit and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis 44
4 Health Insurance: Financing Medical Care 69
5 Insurance Contracts and Managed Care 96
6 Physicians 124
7 Medical Education, Organization, and Business Practices 146
8 Hospitals 172
9 Management and Regulation of Hospital Costs 191
10 Long-Term Care 212
11 Pharmaceuticals 236
12 Financing and Ownership of Health Care Providers 259
13 Macroeconomics of Medical Care 292
14 The Role of Government and Public Goods 319
15 History, Demography, and the Growth of Modern Medicine 347
16 International Comparisons of Health and Health Expenditures 372
17 Economic Evaluation of Health Policy: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 408
18 Value for Money in the Future of Health Care 427
- Chapters focused on what is happening in US healthcare, and the consequences it will have on healthcare professionals, in relation to economics.
- Emphasizes basic economic principles, instead of focusing equal attention on healthcare and economics.
- Introduction to behavioral economics, how it effects the healthcare industry.
- Builds Foundations: Basic principles and concepts are treated as tools for economic analysis (Chapters 1 and 2).
- Uniquely traces the flow of funds through the system to illustrate ownership and incentives.
- Provides a strong analysis of capital financing, ownership, and social insurance.
- Contains extensive quantitative and qualitative problem sets (200+) an Instructor’s Manual, and PowerPoint Presentations.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.