Management, 12th Edition
October 2012, ©2013
We’ve got you covered for Principles of Management with John Schermerhorn’s Management 12th Edition. From new cases and self-assessments to the Fast Company Video Series and Management Weekly Updates, the text and its comprehensive suite of resources promote critical thinking and active learning.
Thoroughly updated while maintaining its trusted, balance of concepts and applications, Management 12th Edition allows you to present the most current material, help students apply theory and show relevance of management concepts in the real worldso your student will succeed in your course and beyond.
Part One Management
1 Introducing Management 2
2 Management Learning Past to Present 32
3 Ethics and Social Responsibility 56
Part Two Environment
4 Environment, Innovation, and Sustainability 84
5 Global Management and Cultural Diversity 106
6 Entrepreneurship and New Ventures 134
Part Three Planning and Controlling
7 Information and Decision Making 160
8 Planning Processes and Techniques 192
9 Control Processes and Systems 216
10 Strategy and Strategic Management 238
Part Four Organizing
11 Organization Structures and Design 268
12 Organization Culture and Change 294
13 Human Resource Management 320
Part Five Leading
14 Leading and Leadership Development 350
15 Individual Behavior 376
16 Motivation Theory and Practice 402
17 Teams and Teamwork 430
18 Communication and Collaboration 458
Management Cases for Critical Thinking
Chapter Cases C-1
Self-Test Answers AN-1
Organizational Index OI-1
Name Index NI-1
Subject Index SI-1
- New coverage of leading topics in management, including sustainability and the environment, innovation, social networking, ethical decision making and leadership.
- New Facts to Consider feature provides a brief summary of interesting research data on management topicslike corruption, office romances and job satisfactionthat stimulate critical inquiry and offer fuel for class discussions and debates.
- New Career Situations encourage students to apply chapter content to common early-career scenarios.
- New Management Cases for Critical Thinking present contemporary and timely organizations and managers to promote analysis, discussion, problem solving, and further research.
- Critical Thinking and Active Learning: From Ethics on the Line, Facts for Analysis to Management Cases for Critical Thinking, special chapter features engage students in timely examples, current events, and applications of chapter material.
- Integrated learning model: helps students read and study for exams, apply concepts and theories and discover how management issues to current events that affect everyday living.
- Self Reflection: A variety of opportunities for self-reflection exist in the text, especially with Learning About Yourself, the Management Skills and Competencies, Further Reflection questions, Self-Assessments, Team Exercises and Career Situations to apply chapter content to common early-career situations, and a Case Study for analysis to further deepen self awareness.
- Pedagogical foundations based on constructive balances of pedagogy:
o Balance of research insights with formative education.
o Balance of management theory with management practice.
o Balance of present understandings with future possibilities.
o Balance of what "can" be done with what is, purely and simply, the "right" thing to do.