Essential Endocrinology and Diabetes, Includes Desktop Edition, 6th Edition
December 2011, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
The teaching style and presentation has been strengthened throughout, and includes learning objectives and “recap” links at the beginning of each chapter that remind the reader of key findings and principles, while cross-referencing makes it easy to locate related information quickly and efficiently. There are also more case studies, with detailed answers applying theory to practice.
Essential Endocrinology and Diabetes is the perfect resource for a course on endocrinology and diabetes, as part of USMLE teaching, and an on-going companion during postgraduate clinical and scientific study. It is accompanied by a FREE enhanced Wiley Desktop Edition - the interactive, digital version of the book - featuring downloadable text and images, highlighting and note taking facilities, book-marking, cross-referencing, in-text searching, and linking to references and glossary terms.
List of abbreviations x
How to get the best out of your textbook xii
PART 1: Foundations of Endocrinology 1
1 Overview of endocrinology 3
2 Cell biology and hormone synthesis 14
3 Molecular basis of hormone action 27
4 Investigations in endocrinology and diabetes 48
PART 2: Endocrinology – Biology to Clinical Practice 63
5 The hypothalamus and pituitary gland 65
6 The adrenal gland 99
7 Reproductive endocrinology 127
8 The thyroid gland 165
9 Calcium and metabolic bone disorders 190
10 Pancreatic and gastrointestinal endocrinology and endocrine neoplasia 213
PART 3: Diabetes and Obesity 233
11 Overview of diabetes 235
12 Type 1 diabetes 257
13 Type 2 diabetes 285
14 Complications of diabetes 311
15 Obesity 343
Neil Hanley is Professor of Medicine and Wellcome Trust Senior Fellow in Clinical Science at the University of Manchester. He is Honorary Consultant in Endocrinology at the Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and Director of the Academy for Training & Education at the Manchester Biomedical Research Centre.
"Essential Endocrinology has been a brilliant book for my
general medicine placement. It is concise and well-illustrated, and
its handy size means it is not a hassle to carry it when away in
regional hospitals. The case histories have been a particularly
useful feature of the book to test my understanding of
endocrinology in a clinically relevant manner. I feel the content
of the book is pitched perfectly for medical students.
Recently I have had to teach the topics of adrenal and thyroid hormones and the clinical applications to preclinical students. This book has been particularly useful during preparation, as it dedicates 2 chapters specifically to them. It covers the physiology in good detail without being excessive. Perhaps in a future edition, there could be a page or two in each chapter dedicated to the relevant histology since this is something that would be relevant to preclinical students and the book is recommended as the core text for second year med students studying endocrinology at Cambridge." (Medical student supervisor, Cambridge Unversity)
“I love this book, it is everything I am currently looking for as a 5th year about to sit finals, and I will be reading every chapter in preparation.” (Final year medical student, University of Glasgow)
“I am very impressed at the ease with which I am reading some of the hardest material – especially the molecular basis of endocrinology” (Psychiatry Resident, University of Cincinnati)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.