Essential Neonatal Medicine, Includes Desktop Edition, 5th Edition
September 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
Essential Neonatal Medicine combines the depth and breadth of a textbook with the clarity and efficiency of a learning consolidator. Providing a solid reference for trainee doctors, neonatal nurses and midwives, this full colour edition has been extensively updated with a range of new illustrations, clinical tips, cross-references to Wiley title Nursing the Neonate (2010, 9781405149747), and end-of-chapter summaries for quick study or revision.
Essential Neonatal Medicine is ideal for all trainee health professionals experiencing neonatology for the first time and looking for a readable and comprehensive resource to support them. It is now accompanied by the enhanced Wiley Desktop Edition (the interactive digital version of the book featuring downloadable text and images, highlighting and note-taking facilities, book-marking, cross-referencing, in-text searching, and linking to references and glossary terms), and a companion website at www.essentialneonatalmed.com featuring figures from the book to download in PowerPoint, further reading, and self-test questions for each chapter.
Preface to the fifth edition vi
Preface to the first edition vii
How to get the best out of your textbook x
1 Fetal well-being and adaptation at birth 1
2 Perinatal epidemiology and audit 14
3 Multiple births 18
4 Neonatal consequences of maternal conditions 24
5 Resuscitation at birth 33
6 Examination of the newborn 47
7 Birth injury 69
8 Genetic disorders 78
9 Infant feeding and nutrition 89
10 Infection 108
11 The extreme preterm infant 125
12 The low-birthweight infant 137
13 Respiratory disorders 145
14 Apnoea, bradycardia and upper airway obstruction 163
15 Respiratory physiology and respiratory support 173
16 Cardiovascular disorders 188
17 Gastrointestinal and abdominal disorders 210
18 Renal disorders 227
19 Jaundice 238
20 Haematological disorders 252
21 Endocrine and metabolic disorders 266
22 Neurological disorders 287
23 Neurodevelopmental follow-up and assessment of hearing and vision 311
24 Developmental care and the neonatal environment 319
25 Organization of perinatal services and neonatal transport 330
26 Discharge and follow-up of high-risk infants 339
27 Parent–infant attachment and support for parents of critically ill infants 349
28 Ethical issues and decision-making process in the treatment of critically ill newborn infants 356
29 Practical procedures 362
This book has a companion website at: www.essentialneonatalmed.com
• Figures from the book in PowerPoint format
• Interactive self-assessment questions and answers
• Further reading list
Professor Sunil Sinha is Professor of Paediatrics &
Neonatal Medicine at the University of Durham & James Cook
University Hospital, Middlesbrough
Dr Lawrence Miall is a Consultant in Neonatal Medicine at Leeds General Infirmary
Dr Luke Jardine is a Neonatologist at Mater Mothers' Hospital, Brisbane and Senior Lecturer at the University of Queensland
- Clinical tip boxes
- Opening and closing chapter summaries
- Cross-referencing with Wiley title Nursing the Neonate
- New material on neonatal consequences of maternal disease, congenital abnormalities, extreme preterm births and small for gestational age infants
- New chapter on developmental care and environment, containing more topics of relevance to nurses
Comprehensive without being overwhelming, this book provides an accessible and indispensible introduction to neonatal medicine for junior doctors, nurses and midwives.
Key features include:
- Depth of a textbook plus relevance of a revision guide; comprehensive yet concise
- Provides in-depth overview for all trainee medical professionals experiencing neonatology for the first time
- Contains new chapter on developmental care and environment
- Now in full colour
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.