Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Procedures, 2nd Edition
August 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Procedures, Second Edition is a step-by-step guide to key emergency and critical care procedures encountered in both general and specialty practice. Now in full color, the second edition includes several new procedures, two new chapters covering cardiopulmonary resuscitation and continuous rate infusions, and a companion website offering videos demonstrating most of the procedures featured in the book. Helpful hints have also been added throughout to make the book even more useful in the practice setting.
Each procedure includes information on the background, supplies needed, indications, and contraindications, followed by a series of images demonstrating the technique. This practical resource, ideally designed for use in fast-paced emergency situations, is an indispensable reference for any member of the veterinary team.
1 Vascular Access Techniques, 1
2 Nutritional Support and Orogastric Lavage, 69
3 Thoracocentesis and Thoracostomy Tube Placement, 101
4 Oxygen Supplementation and Respiratory Sampling Techniques, 133
5 Urinary Catheter Placement, Urohydropulsion, and Temporary Antepubic Cystostomy Catheter Placement, 171
6 Abdominocentesis and Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage, 209
7 Pericardiocentesis and Pericardial Drainage Catheter, 233
8 Central Venous Pressure, 243
9 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, 253
10 Continuous Rate Infusions, 273
The companion website provides video clips demonstrating procedures from the book for download at www.wiley.com/go/hackett
Timothy Hackett, DVM, MS, DACVECC, is the Chief of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine and the Small Animal Medical Chief of Staff at the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Colorado State University in Fort Collins,
Elisa Mazzaferro, MS, DVM, PhD, DACVECC, is a criticalist at Cornell University Veterinary Specialists, a private referral hospital affiliated with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, located in Stamford, CT.
- Offers detailed protocols for common techniques in emergency and critical care
- Presents a series of color photographs walking the reader through each step for every procedure
- Improves clinical skills and knowledge through a hands-on, practical approach
- Adds procedure information for orogastric lavage, respiratory sampling techniques, and pericardial drainage catheter to existing chapters
- Provides two new chapters on cardiopulmonary cerebral resuscitation and continuous rate infusions
- Includes video clips demonstrating most of the procedures on a companion website at www.wiley.com/go/hackett
“Additionally, veterinarians who are embarking on a career in emergency medicine would be well advised to add this book to their library, given its unique visual content. The addition of the e-book and video references further improves the appeal.” (Australian Veterinary Journal, 26 September 2014)
“In summary, this book is certainly a handy one to keep around in an emergency clinic. It readily and clearly depicts many important procedures that occur on a day-to-day basis in an emergency setting.” (Journal of Small Animal Practice, 1 December 2013)
“This book will provide an on-going source for teaching and reference and will be a very welcome addition to my library.” (The Veterinary Journal, 1 August 2013)
“Overall, this book is a good reference for anyone who intends to brush up on important emergency and critical-care techniques.” (Journal of The American Veterinary Medical Association, 15 December 2012)
“I would recommend this book for any practice library supported by further texts if the individual requires them.” (Veterinary Practice, 1 January 2013)
“Overall, I think the book will be most useful for veterinary technicians, students and veterinarians entering the emergency field for the first time.” (Veterinary Record, 5 January 2013)
"Also recommended for immediate reference is Timothy B. Hackett and Elisa M. Mazzaferro's VETERINARY EMERGENCY AND CRITICAL CARE PROCEDURES (9780470958551, $59.99) appears in its second updated edition to provide a step-by-step guide to key emergency and critical care procedures encountered in general and specialty practice." (Bookwatch, 1 December 2012)“This is an essential book for small animal practices, emergency clinics, and any place that teaches veterinary students, interns, or residents. The abundant images are of excellent quality. The second edition has all color pictures along with online videos of many of the procedures.” (Doody’s, 2 November 2012)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.