Ordinary Courage: The Revolutionary War Adventures of Joseph Plumb Martin, 4th Edition
July 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
- Classic primary source on the Revolutionary War
- Edited by a leading US authority on the period
- Now with extra maps and a more extensive bibliography
- Includes a new Afterword by Karen Guenther on film portrayals of the continental soldier
Introductory Comments ix
Overview Maps of Joseph Plumb Martin's Adventures, 1776–1783 xxiii–iv
Martin's Narrative of Adventures, Dangers and Sufferings xxv
Chapter I: Introductory 3
Chapter II: Campaign of 1776 11
Chapter III: Campaign of 1777 39
Chapter IV: Campaign of 1778 70
Chapter V: Campaign of 1779 98
Chapter VI: Campaign of 1780 111
Chapter VII: Campaign of 1781 132
Chapter VIII: Campaign of 1782 158
Chapter IX: Campaign of 1783 168
The Revolutionary War Soldier on Film 183
Suggestions for Additional Reading 188
• Edited by a leading US authority on the period
• Now with extra maps and a more extensive bibliography
• Includes a new Afterword by Karen Guenther on film portrayals of the continental soldier
“No soldier in Washington's Continental Army ever inscribed a more trenchant and vivid account of the hopes, fears, frustrations, and sufferings of the common volunteer than Joseph Plumb Martin. In this new edition of Private Martin's account, James Kirby Martin has amplified the footnotes and bibliography to breathe new life into this remarkable reminiscence. This is indispensable reading for anyone interested in the American Revolution from the inside out.” – Gary B. Nash, University of California, Los Angeles
Praise from the previous edition:
“Ordinary Courage is a classic in American military history. James Kirby Martin has expertly edited the original version. It is wonderful to have such an excellent volume, so skillfully introduced and edited, available for students and the general readership.” – Joseph T. Glatthaar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.