Essential Microbiology, 2nd Edition
June 2013, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Essential Microbiology 2nd Edition is a fully revised
comprehensive introductory text aimed at students taking a first
course in the subject. It provides an ideal entry into the
world of microorganisms, considering all aspects of their biology
(structure, metabolism, genetics), and illustrates the remarkable
diversity of microbial life by devoting a chapter to each of the
main taxonomic groupings. The second part of the book introduces
the reader to aspects of applied microbiology, exploring the
involvement of microorganisms in areas as diverse as food and drink
production, genetic engineering, global recycling systems and
Essential Microbiology explains the key points of each topic but avoids overburdening the student with unnecessary detail. Now in full colour it makes extensive use of clear line diagrams to clarify sometimes difficult concepts or mechanisms. A companion web site includes further material including MCQs, enabling the student to assess their understanding of the main concepts that have been covered.
This edition has been fully revised and updated to reflect the developments that have occurred in recent years and includes a completely new section devoted to medical microbiology. Students of any life science degree course will find this a concise and valuable introduction to microbiology.
Preface to First Edition ix
About the Companion Website xiii
1 Microbiology: What, Why and How? 3
2 Biochemical Principles 19
3 Cell Structure and Organisation 53
II Microbial Nutrition, Growth and Metabolism
4 Microbial Nutrition and Cultivation 83
5 Microbial Growth 97
6 Microbial Metabolism 115
III Microbial Diversity
7 Prokaryote Diversity 171
8 The Fungi 203
9 The Protista 217
10 Viruses 243
IV Microbial Genetics
11 Microbial Genetics 271
12 Microorganisms in Genetic Engineering 319
V Microorganisms in the Environment
13 Microbial Associations 345
14 Microorganisms in the Environment 357
VI Medical Microbiology
15 Human Microbial Diseases 375
16 The Control of Microorganisms 403
17 Antimicrobial Agents 419
VII Microorganisms in Industry
18 Industrial and Food Microbiology 449
Further Reading 485
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.