Fundamentals of Infection Prevention and Control: Theory and Practice
September 2013, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Reviews of first edition:
“This book tells every healthcare professional all they need to know about infection control… A user-friendly, valuable source of knowledge on a subject that can be confusing and complicated.” Nursing Standard
“A valuable contribution within any health or social environment." Journal of Community Nursing
Infection prevention and control is an essential component of nursing care, and a crucially important subject area for both nursing students and qualified nurses. Fundamentals of Infection Prevention and Control gives readers a firm grasp of the principles of infection control, how they relate to clinical practice and the key issues surrounding the subject. It provides a comprehensive guide to the prevention, management and control of healthcare associated infections, and the basic elements of microbiology, immunology and epidemiology that underpin them.
Thoroughly revised in line with current policy, this new edition contains brand-new chapters on a range of topics including the role of the Infection Prevention and Control Team, audit and surveillance, and the management of outbreaks. Also incorporating a range of case studies and examples as well as additional online content, it is essential reading for all nursing students as well as qualified nursing and healthcare professionals.
- Explores both principles and practice of a crucial subject area
- Accessible and user-friendly, with a range of features to help study including key definitions, links back to clinical practice, and chapter learning outcomes and summaries
- Accompanied by an online resource centre featuring MCQs, weblinks, case scenarios and downloadable fact sheets
- Features an increased clinical focus, with more application to practice
This title is also available:
- as a Wiley E-Text, powered by VitalSource: an interactive digital version of the book featuring downloadable text and images, highlighting and note-taking facilities, book-marking, cross-referencing, in-text searching, and linking to references and glossary terms
- instantly on CourseSmart at www.coursesmart.co.uk/9781118306659.
CourseSmart offers extra
functionality, as well as an immediate way to review the text. For more details, visit www.coursesmart.com/instructors or www.coursesmart.com/students
How to get the best out of your textbook ix
How to use the companion website xii
Part One: Introduction to infection prevention and control 3
Chapter 1 The burden of healthcare-associated infections, and disease threats old and new 4
Chapter 2 The Infection Prevention and Control Team 18
Chapter 3 Audit and surveillance 32
Chapter 4 The investigation of clusters, periods of increased incidence and outbreaks of infection 46
Chapter 5 Microbial classification and structure 60
Chapter 6 The collection and transportation of specimens 80
Chapter 7 The microbiology laboratory 96
Chapter 8 Understanding the immune system and the nature and pathogenesis of infection 110
Chapter 9 Sepsis 130
Chapter 10 Antibiotics and the problem of resistance 140
Part Two: The principles of infection prevention and control (standard precautions) 161
Chapter 11 Isolation and cohort nursing 162
Chapter 12 Hand hygiene 174
Chapter 13 Personal protective equipment 192
Chapter 14 The safe handling and disposal of sharps 206
Chapter 15 Cleaning 216
Part Three: Clinical practice 229
Chapter 16 The management of vascular access devices and the prevention of bloodstream infections 230
Chapter 17 The prevention and management of catheter-associated urinary tract infections 246
Chapter 18 The prevention and management of surgical site infections 258
Chapter 19 The prevention and management of hospital and community-acquired pneumonia 272
Part Four: Specificorganisms 285
Chapter 20 Stapylococcus aureus (including MRSA) 286
Chapter 21 Tuberculosis 304
Chapter 22 Clostridium difficile 324
Chapter 23 Norovirus 342
Chapter 24 Blood-borne viruses 356
Control at East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, Kent, UK.
- An increased clinical focus, with more application to practice
- A companion website with links to further reading, case scenarios, and downloadable fact sheets
- Colour illustrations
- Increased format with more use of pedagogical features including ‘learning outcomes’, ‘reflection points’, 'fact boxes' and chapter summaries
- Fully updated to include the latest guidance, i.e. WHO guidance on hand hygiene, new guidance from NICE on tuberculosis, new guidance on norovirus and clostridium difficile
- Brand new chapters on: The Infection Prevention and Control Team; Audit and Surveillance; Infection Control Management; The Management of Outbreaks; Infection Prevention and Control and the Law; Patient and Public Perception; Infection Control in the Community; and Antibiotic Resistant Gram-negative Bacteria, a topic which has major implications for healthcare globally.
- A fully revised new edition of an essential textbook for nursing students and qualified nursing & healthcare professionals
- A core topic for all nursing students as well as qualified staff
- Explores both the principles and practice of this topical subject area
- Accessible and user-friendly, with pedagogical features throughout and an online resource centre
“This book would also serve as an excellent quick reference to any healthcare practitioner exploring issues related to everyday practice in infection control and prevention.” (Journal of Perioperative Practice, 1 June 2014)
Praise for the 1st edition:
"This book would make a valuable contribution within any health or social environment." (Journal of Community Nursing, Aug/Sep 2008)
"This book tells every healthcare professional all they need to know about infection control…A user-friendly, valuable source of knowledge on a subject that can be confusing and complicated.” (Nursing Standard, June 2011)
5* Amazon review: Vital to the healthcare profession of
today. With the current high profile of infection prevention
and control, at last, an up to date resource that makes the subject
very interesting and readable.
The author includes the history and science, along with the latest Government guidelines on the prevention and control of infection. It not only gives the reader an understanding of the background of the subject, but also enables them to put theory into practice. In my opinion this is the most important book any healthcare professional or healthcare student can own.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.