Anaesthesia at a Glance
February 2014, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Anaesthesia at a Glance is a brand new title that provides a concise and visually-orientated summary of a comprehensive lecture course in anaesthesia. Ideal for clinical undergraduate medical students and Foundation Programme doctors undertaking anaesthesia attachments, it gives a systematic, broad view of anaesthesia in various specialties, taking the reader through preparation, management and the pharmacology behind anaesthetic medicine.
Anaesthesia at a Glance is supported by a companion website at www.ataglanceseries.com/anaesthesia containing interactive multiple-choice questions and answers together with a selection of interactive cases – perfect for study and revision.
Whether you want to refresh your knowledge or need a thorough overview of the specialty, Anaesthesia at a Glance presents all the vital clinical information you need.
How to use your textbook 5
About the companion website 8
1 History of anaesthesia 10
2 Monitoring 12
3 Equipment 14
4 Airway devices 16
5 Fluid management 18
6 Preoperative preparation of the patient for surgery 21
7 Temperature regulation 24
8 The perioperative patient journey 26
9 General anaesthesia – inhalational anaesthetics 28
10 General anaesthesia – intravenous anaesthetics 30
11 Local anaesthetics 32
12 Neuromuscular blocking drugs 34
13 Acute pain 36
14 Postoperative nausea and vomiting 38
15 Chronic pain 40
16 The airway 42
17 Emergency anaesthesia 44
18 Obstetric anaesthesia 46
19 Ophthalmic anaesthesia 48
20 Paediatric anaesthesia 50
21 Cardiac and thoracic anaesthesia 52
22 Regional anaesthesia 54
23 Anaesthetic emergencies in the operating theatre 56
24 Anaesthetic emergencies in the wider hospital 59
25 Trauma 62
26 Orthopaedic anaesthesia 64
27 Anaesthesia and obesity 67
28 Anaesthesia and old age 70
29 Anaesthesia and diabetes 72
30 Anaesthesia for vascular surgery 74
31 Anaesthesia for ENT and maxillofacial surgery 76
32 Awareness 78
33 Anaesthesia for ECT, dental surgery and special needs 80
34 Postoperative management 82
35 Anaesthesia away from the hospital setting 84
William Fawcett is Consultant Anaesthetist, Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and Senior Fellow, Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Guildford
“Whether you want to refresh your knowledge or need a thorough overview of the specialty, Anaesthesia at a Glance presents all the vital clinical information you need.” (Kingbook73's Medical Ebook and Video Collection, 23 August 2014)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.