Calculation Skills for Nurses
May 2013, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Providing nursing students with words of wisdom and advice from real-life student nurses, Calculation Skills for Nurses enables you to calculate drug dosages with ease, boosting your confidence and competence in this core area of nursing practice. The book takes away the fear of calculations, making it approachable, easy and fun, and ties in with the NMC standards for pre-registration education and the Essential Skills Clusters. It is filled with examples and questions based on real life nursing and healthcare situations and includes key information displayed on the inside back cover for quick look-up on clinical placements.
LATIN ABBREVIATIONS xv
THE 24-HOUR CLOCK xvii
Part 1: Diagnosis 1
1 CALCULATIONS REVISION 3
2 CALCULATIONS SELF-ASSESSMENT 23
Part 2: Understanding Nursing Calculations 27
3 METRIC UNITS AND CONVERSIONS 29
4 TABLETS AND CAPSULES 33
5 LIQUIDS AND INJECTABLES 39
6 SYRINGES AND MENISCUS 47
7 DISPLACEMENT VALUES 57
8 DOSAGES ACCORDING TO BODY WEIGHT 63
9 DRIP RATES 67
10 DRIP-RATE DURATION 73
11 SYRINGE DRIVERS AND PUMPS 77
12 PAEDIATRIC NURSING 85
Part 3: Putting It All Into Practice 97
13 FLUID CHARTS 99
14 MALNUTRITION UNIVERSAL SCREENING TOOL (MUST) ASSESSMENT 105
15 EARLY WARNING SCORE (EWS) ASSESSMENT 109
16 WATERLOW ASSESSMENT 115
17 PRESCRIPTION CHARTS 119
18 LOOKING AT BUDGETS 125
19 INTERPRETING DATA 129
20 EMPLOYMENT SERVICES 135
21 BODY MASS INDEX 139
Part 4: Testing Your Knowledge 143
22 KNOWLEDGE TESTS 145
ANSWERS TO ACTIVITY QUESTIONS 153
Part 5: Appendices 163
APPENDIX 1: FLUID CHART 165
APPENDIX 2: MALNUTRITION UNIVERSAL SCREENING TOOL 169
APPENDIX 3: BRISTOL OBSERVATION CHART 177
APPENDIX 4: WATERLOW PRESSURE ULCER
PREVENTION/TREATMENT POLICY 179
APPENDIX 5: CONVERSION TABLES 181
- Part of the Student Survival Skills series, an exciting new series for student nurses
- A pocket-sized, portable textbook for pre-registration nursing students to use in the classroom or on their clinical placement
- Developed by students, for students: tips, advice and words of wisdom from real-life students included throughout
- An essential topic for all pre-registration nursing students
- Applicable to all fields of nursing- with examples from adult, mental health, paediatric and midwifery
- Ties in with the NMC standards for pre-registration education and the Essential Skills Clusters
“Everyone who has anything to do with drug calculations should have this book, even the doctors! Anyone who enjoys maths would also love this book, especially if you are likely to want to teach any of it.” (Nursing Times, 30 July 2014)
“This book, by a registered nurse and practice development trainer, is concise and easy to follow.” (Nursing Older People, 1 November 2013)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.