The Handbook of Midwifery Research
March 2011, ©2011, Wiley-Blackwell
The Handbook of Midwifery Research specifically focuses on the needs of midwives and students and helps increase the knowledge and understanding of midwifery research, enabling the reader to undertake research with confidence. With case studies, learning objectives and clear examples throughout, this is an essential purchase for any midwife or student wanting to understand or undertake research. This handbook includes useful tools and techniques to assist midwives and students to keep themselves up-to-date with the best available evidence, enabling them to apply this evidence to their own clinical practice.
- An essential resource for midwifery students as well as qualified midwives
- Clear, straightforward, and accessible in style
- Provides midwives and students with the skills to undertake research with confidence
- Provides examples throughout to apply research to midwifery practice
- Includes a glossary of research terms
About the book, xiii
About the authors, xv
Part I Understanding research
Chapter 1 Introduction to midwifery research, 3
Introducing research, 3
Types of research knowledge, 5
Audit and research, 7
Introducing qualitative research, 12
Introducing quantitative research, 22
The importance of evidence-based practice, 32
Chapter 2 Finding the evidence, 40
Introduction to fi nding evidence, 40
Literature searching, 41
Literature review, 41
Sources of evidence, 44
Using a search strategy, 47
Structured review, 48
Systematic review, 50
Chapter 3 Making sense of the evidence, 54
Introduction to critiquing research evidence, 54
Critiquing qualitative research, 55
Critiquing quantitative research, 59
Hierarchy of evidence, 61
Differences between qualitative and quantitative research, 66
Part II Undertaking research
Chapter 4 Data collection techniques, 73
Introduction to data collection, 73
Qualitative data collection techniques, 75
Undertaking a research interview, 83
Quantitative data collection techniques, 90
Chapter 5 Ethics and research governance, 102
Introducing ethics and research, 103
History of ethics and research, 103
Principles of ethics, 107
Research governance, 110
Ethical issues relating to midwifery research, 112
Gaining ethical approval, 114
Chapter 6 Data analysis, 119
Introduction to data analysis, 119
Qualitative data analysis, 120
Quantitative data analysis methods, 125
A basic understanding of statistics, 133
Chapter 7 Research dissemination, 149
The dissertation, 149
Research degree – proposals, 153
Writing skills, 156
Getting your work published, 159
Impact of publications, 164
Presenting a conference paper, 165
Useful resources, 166
Becoming a researcher, 167
Appendix A, 170
Appendix B, 176
Appendix C, 177
Appendix D, 193
"I found this book instantly likeable. It is easy to locate the required information, the content overall is excellent, and it outweighs its competitors by far. It is reasonably priced, and I most definitely highly recommend it." (The Royal College Of Midwives, 18 January 2012)
"This practical handbook of midwifery research is clear, concise, informative and very user-friendly ... It is reasonably priced, and I most definitely highly recommend it." (Midwives, 1 November 2011)
"The volume includes accessible examples throughout and a glossary of research terms." (Booknews, 1 June 2011)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.