Restraint and Handling of Wild and Domestic Animals, 3rd Edition
October 2008, ©2008, Wiley-Blackwell
Preface to the Second Edition, ix
Preface to the Third Edition, xi
Part 1. GENERAL CONCEPTS.
1. Introduction, 5
2. Tools of Restraint, 11
3. Rope Work, 25
4. Thermoregulation, 45
5. Understanding Behavior for Restraint Purposes, 53
6. Training for Restraint Procedures, 59
7. Stress, 65
8. Animal Welfare Concerns During Restraint, 69
9. Medical Problems During Restraint, 73
Part 2. DOMESTIC ANIMALS.
10. Horses, Donkeys, Mules, 97
11. Cattle and Other Domestic Bovids, 117
12. Sheep and Goats, 139
13. Swine, 149
14. Camelids, 161
15. Dogs, 181
16. Cats, 193
17. Laboratory Rodents and Rabbits, 199
18. Poultry and Waterfowl, 209
Part 3. WILD ANIMALS.
19. Delivery Systems, 219
20. Chemical Restraint, 227
21. Monotremes and Marsupials, 249
22. Small Mammals, 257
23. Carnivores, 275
24. Nonhuman Primates, 293
25. Marine Mammals, 307
26. Elephants, 321
27. Other Megavertebrates (Hoofed Stock), 343
28. Hoofed Stock (Other than the Megavertebrates), 355
29. Birds, 377
30. Reptiles, 411
31. Amphibians and Fish, 439
“An in-depth resource of scientific and practical information concerning the most effective ways to handle, hold, and restrain all sorts of animals from dogs and cats to mice, chickens, cattle, snakes, and even exotic creatures like tigers or elephants. Featuring meticulous descriptions and crystal-clear photography on virtually every page, Restraint and Handling of Wild and Domestic Animals is an utterly invaluable resource for veterinarians, farmers, zookeepers, and any scientist or researcher who works with animals. Worthy of the absolute highest recommendation for its depth of professional experience and its highly accessible instructional style … .An absolute must-have.” - Library Bookwatch, November 2008
“The third updated edition of Restraint and Handling of Wild and Domestic Animals is a 'must' for any college-level collection strong in veterinary sciences as well as for practicing vets. It offers an introduction to the basics of animal restraint and reviews techniques for both wild and domestic animals. This new edition provides the latest research and focuses on techniques and safety for both handlers and animals.” - Midwest Book Review, January 2009
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.