Group Dynamics and Team Interventions: Understanding and Improving Team Performance
May 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
Organizations thrive or struggle as a result of interactions among team members. To optimize the performance of teams, Group Dynamics and Team Interventions bridges the gap between the most up-to-date academic research findings about group behavior and real-life practice. Chapters summarize the theories behind group and team behavior while offering proven application and intervention techniques that can be utilized in workplace settings. Topics addressed include team formation and development; understanding culture and team diversity; improving team cohesion, decision making, and problem solving; managing and reducing team conflict; team leadership, power, and influence; and others. Brief case studies and interventions that illustrate each theory help to enhance the clarity of the topics.
Group Dynamics and Team Interventions will benefit academics and practitioners alike, who gain from a better understanding of the dynamics that inform team behavior, along with assessment tools and practical intervention techniques to create and maintain a high-performing team.
Part I Introduction 1
1 Introduction to Teams 3
2 Methods of Assessing and Evaluating Team Functioning 18
Part II Inputs 43
3 Team Theories and Concepts 45
4 Understanding Culture and Diversity 70
5 Preparing the Environment for Teamwork 93
Part III Processes 109
6 Improving Small Group Communication and Trust 111
7 Improving Creativity and Innovation 137
8 Improving Problem Solving and Decision Making 157
9 Understanding Cohesion and Collaboration 176
10 Reducing Dysfunctional Conflict and Improving Cooperation 199
11 Influence, Power, and Leadership 229
12 Working in Virtual Teams 259
Part IV Outputs 281
13 Searching for Synergy: Creating a High-Performing Team 283
Appendix: Improving Team Meetings 300
Timothy M. Franz is a Professor of Psychology at St. John Fisher College. His area of expertise is small group and team processes. In addition, he is an experienced applied researcher, specializing in conducting focus groups, interviews, and surveys. He has published in journals such as the Journal of the American Medical Association and the Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.