Introducing World Christianity
February 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the spread and impact of world Christianity
- Contains studies from every major region of the world, including Africa, Asia, Latin America, the North Atlantic, and Oceania
- Brings together an international team of contributors from history, sociology, and anthropology, as well as religious studies
- Examines the significant social, cultural, and political transformations in contemporary societies brought about through the influence of Christianity
- Discusses Protestant, Evangelical, Catholic, and Orthodox forms of the faith
- Features useful maps and illustrations
- Combines broader discussions with detailed regional analysis, creating an invaluable introduction to world Christianity
List of Contributors.
Map of World Christianity.
Preface (Robert W. Hefner).
Introduction (Charles E. Farhadian).
Part I: AFRICA.
1: Middle Eastern & North African Christianity: Persisting in the Lands of Islam (Heather Sharkey).
2: Christian Belongings in East Africa: Flocking to the Churches (Ben Knighton).
3: West African Christianity: Padres, Prophets, Pastors, and Pentecostals (Ogbu Kalu).
4: Christianity in Southern Africa: The Aesthetics of Well-Being (Frederick Klaits).
Part II: EUROPE.
5: Christianity in Western Europe: Mission Fields, Old and New? (Simon Coleman).
6: Christianity in Eastern Europe: A Story of Pain, Glory, Persecution, and Freedom (Peter Kuzmic).
Part III: ASIA.
7: Christianity in South Asia: Negotiating Religious Pluralism (Arun Jones).
8: Christianity in Southeast Asia: Similarity and Difference in a Culturally Diverse Region (Barbara Watson Andaya).
9: Christianity in East Asia: Evangelicalism and the March First Independence Movement in Korea (Timothy S. Lee).
Part IV: AMERICAS.
10: Christianity in North America: Changes and Challenges in a Land of Promise (Kevin J. Christiano).
11: Central America and the Caribbean: Christianity on the Periphery (Virginia Garrard-Burnett).
12: Christianity in Latin America: Changing Churches in a Changing Continent (Samuel Escobar).
13: Brazilian Charisma: Pentecostalized Christianity in Latin America’s Largest Nation (R. Andrew Chesnut).
Part V: THE PACIFIC.
14: Christianity in Australia and New Zealand: Faith and Politics in Secular Soil (Marion Maddox).
15: Christianity in Polynesia: Transforming the Islands (Ian Breward).
16: Christianity in Micronesia: The Interplay Between Church and Culture (Francis X. Hezel).
17: Christianity in Melanesia: Transforming the Warrior Spirit (Garry W. Trompf).
Conclusion: World Christianity: It's History, Spread, and Social Influence (Robert D. Woodberry).
"This volume acknowledges the polycentric nature of Christian ecumene. It combines historical breadth and sociological depth. ...With its rich variety of research methods, writing styles, and case studies, this volume is a welcome addition to the field of world Christianity and could be a valuable reference book both to experts and lay readers." (Mission Studies, 2013)
“Any scholar wanting background information on Christianity in any region of the world will find this book very helpful.” (Ecclesiastical History, 1 July 2013)
“I do think, however, there is some merit in understanding how the world views Christianity at large. Because of that, I do recommend this resource with the qualification that the reader realize that this book is painting with extremely large strokes the Christian faith.” (Christian Book Notes, 1 July 2013)
“It should prove to be a valuable resource for both classroom and specialist use. Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-level undergraduates through researchers/faculty.” (Choice, 1 October 2012)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.