Introducing World Christianity
February 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the spread and impact of world Christianity
- Contains studies from every major region of the world, including Africa, Asia, Latin America, the North Atlantic, and Oceania
- Brings together an international team of contributors from history, sociology, and anthropology, as well as religious studies
- Examines the significant social, cultural, and political transformations in contemporary societies brought about through the influence of Christianity
- Discusses Protestant, Evangelical, Catholic, and Orthodox forms of the faith
- Features useful maps and illustrations
- Combines broader discussions with detailed regional analysis, creating an invaluable introduction to world Christianity
List of Contributors.
Map of World Christianity.
Preface (Robert W. Hefner).
Introduction (Charles E. Farhadian).
Part I: AFRICA.
1: Middle Eastern & North African Christianity: Persisting in the Lands of Islam (Heather Sharkey).
2: Christian Belongings in East Africa: Flocking to the Churches (Ben Knighton).
3: West African Christianity: Padres, Prophets, Pastors, and Pentecostals (Ogbu Kalu).
4: Christianity in Southern Africa: The Aesthetics of Well-Being (Frederick Klaits).
Part II: EUROPE.
5: Christianity in Western Europe: Mission Fields, Old and New? (Simon Coleman).
6: Christianity in Eastern Europe: A Story of Pain, Glory, Persecution, and Freedom (Peter Kuzmic).
Part III: ASIA.
7: Christianity in South Asia: Negotiating Religious Pluralism (Arun Jones).
8: Christianity in Southeast Asia: Similarity and Difference in a Culturally Diverse Region (Barbara Watson Andaya).
9: Christianity in East Asia: Evangelicalism and the March First Independence Movement in Korea (Timothy S. Lee).
Part IV: AMERICAS.
10: Christianity in North America: Changes and Challenges in a Land of Promise (Kevin J. Christiano).
11: Central America and the Caribbean: Christianity on the Periphery (Virginia Garrard-Burnett).
12: Christianity in Latin America: Changing Churches in a Changing Continent (Samuel Escobar).
13: Brazilian Charisma: Pentecostalized Christianity in Latin America’s Largest Nation (R. Andrew Chesnut).
Part V: THE PACIFIC.
14: Christianity in Australia and New Zealand: Faith and Politics in Secular Soil (Marion Maddox).
15: Christianity in Polynesia: Transforming the Islands (Ian Breward).
16: Christianity in Micronesia: The Interplay Between Church and Culture (Francis X. Hezel).
17: Christianity in Melanesia: Transforming the Warrior Spirit (Garry W. Trompf).
Conclusion: World Christianity: It's History, Spread, and Social Influence (Robert D. Woodberry).
“Any scholar wanting background information on Christianity in any region of the world will find this book very helpful.” (Ecclesiastical History, 1 July 2013)
“I do think, however, there is some merit in understanding how the world views Christianity at large. Because of that, I do recommend this resource with the qualification that the reader realize that this book is painting with extremely large strokes the Christian faith.” (Christian Book Notes, 1 July 2013)
“It should prove to be a valuable resource for both classroom and specialist use. Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-level undergraduates through researchers/faculty.” (Choice, 1 October 2012)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.