What Is Sociolinguistics?
February 2012, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
- Explores the sociolinguistics of multilingualism, culture and ethnicity, language contact, and education
- Provides useful and clear learning features including numerous innovative exercises and project ideas, spotlighted research readings, glossary terms, chapter summaries, and text boxes
The Companion Website for Instructors (www.wiley.com/go/vanherkprofs) has PowerPoint slides for each chapter with suggestions for framing class discussions and exercises, further examples on concepts discussed in the book, tips on additional readings to bring in, and ready-to-go slides for class presentation.
The Companion Website for Students (www.wiley.com/go/vanherk) includes links for every chapter from standard sociolinguistic tools to links designed to spark discussion relevant to each chapter, including video clips, oral histories, articles, and more.
List of Boxes xi
Research in the Spotlight xiv
Companion Website xvi
1. Introduction 1
2. Language and Society 10
3. Place 25
4. Social Status 47
5. Time 60
6. Ethnicity 75
7. Gender and Identity 85
8. Style 104
9. Interaction 116
10. Multilingualism 127
11. Language Contact 136
12. Attitudes and Ideologies 148
13. Language as a Social Entity 161
14. Education 175
15. What is Sociolinguistics? 188
“What is Sociolinguistics offers a refreshingly different take on many of the standard, key concepts in the field. It is funny, clear, and distinctly personal, providing essential information about sociolinguistics and referring students to a host of other works that can take them deeper if they wish.” – John Rickford, Stanford University
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.