Essentials of Contemporary Business
November 2013, ©2014
This text is an unbound, binder-ready edition.
We've listened. Boone/Kurtz, Essentials of Contemporary Business is the flexible, current, and easy-to-use resource that today’s students and teachers want. Our commitment to delivering solutions at the speed of business has produced the perfect combination of current material, illustrative examples and a storytelling narrative -- all in a brief, valued-priced package. Covering all of the major topics of the introduction to business course, Boone/Kurtz, Essentials of Contemporary Business offers shorter chapters and a visually pleasing design paired with a comprehensive suite of resources to help you make business concepts come alive. Experience a textbook program that supports your goals to stimulate curiosity, show relevance, promote creativity, and prepare students for what's ahead, in both their academic and business careers.
PART 1 Business in a Global Environment
1 The Changing Face of Business 1
2 Business Ethics and Social Responsibility 17
3 Economic Challenges Facing Contemporary Business 33
4 Competing in World Markets 51
PART 2 Starting and Growing Your Business
5 Small Business and Forms of Business Ownership 67
6 Starting Your Own Business 83
PART 3 Management: Building Organizational Capability for Superior Performance
7 Management, Leadership, and the Internal Organization 99
8 Human Resource Management: From Recruitment to Labor Relations 115
9 Top Performance through Empowerment, Teamwork, and Communication 131
10 Production and Operations Management 147
PART 4 Marketing Management
11 Customer-Driven Marketing 163
12 Product and Distribution Strategies 179
13 Promotion and Pricing Strategies 195
PART 5 Managing Technology and Information
14 Using Technology to Manage Information 211
PART 6 Managing Financial Resources
15 Understanding Accounting and Financial Statements 227
16 The Financial System 247
17 Financial Management 261
Name Index 294
Subject Index 300
International Index 311
- Currency: Boone and Kurtz Essentials of Contemporary Business features the most current content and relevant examples to illustrate business concepts.
- Contemporary Business Weekly Updates: Wiley’s Weekly Updates news site sparks classroom debate around current events that apply to your business course topics. We save you time by emailing you—every Monday—the most relevant news articles and videos tagged to the textbook and complemented by discussion questions.
- Video Series: Three different video series accompany the text and all feature high-definition, documentary-style video clips and profile companies like Zipcar, Seventh Generation, and Comet Skateboards to reinforce key concepts, and expose students to innovative business practices.
- Comprehensive Resource Package: Annotated Instructor’s Edition, WileyPLUS, complete Instructor’s Manual, extensive Test Bank, Video PowerPoints, Video Cases, simulations, and more make up the leading suite of teaching materials.
- WileyPLUS is now equipped with an adaptive learning module called ORION. Based on cognitive science, WileyPLUS with ORION, provides students with a personal, adaptive learning experience so they can build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively. WileyPLUS with ORION helps students learn by learning about them.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.