The Student Nurse Toolkit: An Essential Guide for Surviving Your Course
September 2013, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Your very own companion to any pre-registration nursing course!
Packed with advice, hints and tips, this essential, practical guide will orientate and guide you through your nursing course even before you start. Written in a straightforward, no-nonsense style, this Toolkit is full of strategies and help for surviving and succeeding on your pre-registration nursing course, and addresses all the key issues and concerns you may face, including:
- How to get the most out of your clinical placement
- The nursing terminology you need to know – including NMC standards
- How to create a professional Portfolio
- How to achieve a healthy work-life balance
- How to develop an effective relationship with your mentor
With case studies from real students, hands-on activities and suggestions for further reading, this is THE essential survival guide for your nursing course!
CHAPTER 1 Entry to Nursing 1
CHAPTER 2 The Nursing and Midwifery Council and Other Regulatory Bodies 15
CHAPTER 3 Nursing Education: the Standards for Pre-registration Nurse Education 27
CHAPTER 4 Nursing Health and Social Care 43
CHAPTER 5 Assessment Tools 60
CHAPTER 6 The Essential Skills Clusters 79
CHAPTER 7 The University Setting 98
CHAPTER 8 Practice Learning Opportunities 115
CHAPTER 9 The Nursing Elective 131
CHAPTER 10 Managing Self 143
CHAPTER 11 Terminology: Terms Used in Healthcare 162
CHAPTER 12 Evidence-Based Practice 178
CHAPTER 13 Reflective Practice 195
CHAPTER 14 Your Professional Portfolio 212
CHAPTER 15 Records and Record Keeping 230
CHAPTER 16 Protocols Policies and Legal Matters 249
CHAPTER 17 Clinical Academic Careers 268
CHAPTER 18 Preceptorship and Continuing Professional Development 281
CHAPTER 19 What Do I Do If...? Questions You Did Not Want To Ask Out Loud 298
- An essential ‘how-to’ of the practicalities of the nursing course
- A very practical guide to the everyday issues that face nursing students on their course.
- Highly interactive and student friendly, with activities, cartoons, and exercises throughout
- Features the voice of the student throughout- with tips and hints from real-life students
“The comprehensive index allows the text to be used as a quick reference when preparing for exams, clinical skills or placement. There is information for further readirg, and links to use when writing essays. The book's best feature is that it answers many of the questions every nursing student wants to ask.” (Nursing Standard, 27 November 2013)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.