Industrial Organization: Contemporary Theory and Empirical Applications, 5th Edition
January 2014, ©2013
The text uniquely uses the tools of game theory, information economics, contracting issues, and practical examples to examine multiple facets of industrial organization. The fifth edition is more broadly accessible, balancing the tension between making modern industrial analysis accessible while also presenting the formal abstract modeling that gives the analysis its power. The more overtly mathematical content is presented in the Contemporary Industrial Organization text (aimed at the top tier universities) while this Fifth Edition will less mathematical (aimed at a wider range of four-year colleges and state universities.
About the Authors v
Preface to the Fifth Edition vii
Part One Foundations 1
1 Industrial Organization: What, How, and Why 2
2 Basic Microeconomics 19
3 Market Structure and Market Power 47
4 Technology and Cost 64
Part Two Monopoly Power in Theory and Practice 91
5 Price Discrimination and Monopoly: Linear Pricing 92
6 Price Discrimination and Monopoly: Nonlinear Pricing 119
7 Product Variety and Quality Under Monopoly 142
8 Commodity Bundling and Tie-In Sales 173
Part Three Strategic Interaction and Basic Oligopoly Models 213
9 Static Games and Cournot Competition 214
10 Oligopolistic Price Competition 242
11 Dynamic Games and First and Second Movers 264
Part Four Anticompetitive Behavior and Antitrust Policy 283
12 Entry Deterrence and Predation 284
13 Predatory Conduct: More Recent Developments 316
14 Price Fixing, Repeated Games, and Antitrust Policy 349
Part Five Contractual Relations Between Firms 385
15 Horizontal Mergers 386
16 Vertical and Conglomerate Mergers 427
Pepall ftoc.tex V1 - 07/29/2013 12:13 A.M. Page iv
17 Vertical Price Restraints 459
18 Non-Price Vertical Restraints 486
Part Six Non-Price Competition 515
19 Advertising, Market Power, and Information 516
20 Research and Development 548
21 Patents and Patent Policy 578
Part Seven Networks, Auctions, and Strategic Commitment 611
22 Network Issues 612
23 Auctions: Basic Theory and Applications 637
24 Strategic Commitments and International Trade 661
Answers to Practice Problems 677
- Empirical Applications in each chapter doubles the amount of empirical content from the previous edition.
- Flexible Pedagogical Approach: Content and material can be covered using either calculus or a non-calculus approach.
- New chapter on strategic interaction as it applies to international competition and the scope this introduces for strategic trade policies.
- The two chapters on price-fixing and anti-trust policy vis-à-vis collusion (Chapter 14 and 15 in 4th edition) are streamlined and combined into one chapter.
- The two chapters on advertising (Chapter 20 and 21 in 4th edition) are streamlined and combined into one chapter.
- Provides a comprehensive guide to industrial organization in the imperfect market conditions of the real world.
- The most accessible text conveying the vitality and relevance of industrial organization—both in theory and practice.
- Discussion of a single empirical study in each chapter.
- End-of-chapter summaries, problems, references, in addition to many appendices, all integrated within the text.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.