Laboratory Manual for Principles of General Chemistry, 10th Edition
December 2013, ©2014
A lab manual for the General Chemistry course, Beran has been popular for the past nine editions because of its broad selection of experiments, clear layout, and design. Containing enough material for two or three terms, this lab manual emphasizes chemical principles as well as techniques. In addition, the manual helps students understand the timing and situations for various techniques.
Laboratory Safety and Guidelines 1
Data Documentation 5
Data Analysis 9
Laboratory Techniques 17
Dry Lab 1 The Laboratory and SI, 43
Experiment 1 Basic Laboratory Operations, 51
B. Chemical and Physical Properties
Experiment 2 Identification of a Compound: Chemical Properties, 59
Experiment 3 Water Analysis: Solids, 67
Experiment 4 Paper Chromatography, 75
Experiment 5 Percent Water in a Hydrated Salt, 85
Dry Lab 2A Inorganic Nomenclature I. Oxidation Numbers, 91
Dry Lab 2B Inorganic Nomenclature II. Binary Compounds, 94
Dry Lab 2C Inorganic Nomenclature III. Ternary Compounds, 98
Experiment 6 Acids, Bases, and Salts, 103
C. Mole Concept
Experiment 7 Empirical Formulas, 115
Experiment 8 Limiting Reactant, 123
Experiment 9 A Volumetric Analysis, 133
Experiment 10 Vinegar Analysis, 143
D. Atomic and Molecular Structure
Experiment 11 Periodic Table and Periodic Law, 149
Dry Lab 3 Atomic and Molecular Structure, 161
Experiment 12 Molar Mass of a Volatile Liquid, 173
Experiment 13 A Carbonate Analysis; Molar Volume of Carbon Dioxide, 181
Experiment 14 Molar Mass of a Solid, 189
Experiment 15 Synthesis of Potassium Alum, 199
G. Acid-Base Equilibria and Analysis
Experiment 16 LeChâtelier’s Principle; Buffers, 207
Experiment 17 Antacid Analysis, 219
Experiment 18 Potentiometric Analyses, 227
Experiment 19 Aspirin Synthesis and Analysis, 237
Experiment 20 Alkalinity of a Water Resource, 245
Experiment 21 Hard Water Analysis, 255
Experiment 22 Molar Solubility, Common-Ion Effect, 263
Experiment 23 Factors Affecting Reaction Rates, 271
Experiment 24 A Rate Law and Activation Energy, 281
Experiment 25 Calorimetry, 293
Experiment 26 Thermodynamics of the Dissolution of Borax, 305
J. Oxidation-Reduction Systems and Analysis
Experiment 27 Oxidation–Reduction Reactions, 315
Experiment 28 Chemistry of Copper, 323
Experiment 29 Bleach Analysis, 331
Experiment 30 Vitamin C Analysis, 341
Experiment 31 Dissolved Oxygen Levels in Natural Waters, 349
Experiment 32 Galvanic Cells, the Nernst Equation, 357
Experiment 33 Electrolytic Cells, Avogadro’s Number, 369
K. Transition Metal Systems and Analysis
Experiment 34 An Equilibrium Constant, 377
Experiment 35 Spectrophotometric Metal Ion Analysis, 389
Experiment 36 Transition Metal Complexes, 397
L. Qualitative Analysis
Dry Lab 4 Preface to Qualitative Analysis, 409
Experiment 37 Qual: Common Anions, 413
Experiment 38 Qual I. Na+, K+, , Mg2+, Ca2+, Cu2+, 423
Experiment 39 Qual II. Ni2+, Fe3+, Al3+, Zn2+, 433
Appendix A Conversion Factors, 441
Appendix B Familiar Names of Common Chemicals, 442
Appendix C Vapor Pressure of Water, 444
Appendix D Concentrations of Acids and Bases, 445
Appendix E Water Solubility of Inorganic Salts, 446
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.