Earth Resources and Environmental Impact, 1st Edition
January 2014, ©2014
Part 1 Earth Systems and Earth Materials
1 Introduction 2
2 Earth-System Science 31
3 Earth Materials I—Minerals 63
4 Earth Materials II—Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic Rocks 98
Part 2 Mineral Resources
5 Ore Deposits and Mineral Exploration 132
6 Abundant and Scarce Metal Resources 167
7 Nonmetals and Industrial Minerals 211
8 Environmental Impacts of Metal Resources 248
Part 3 Energy Resources
9 Energy Perspectives 274
10 Carbon-Based Energy Resources 293
11 Environmental Impacts of Carbon-Based Energy 346
12 Noncarbon-Based Energy Resources 383
13 Environmental Impacts of Noncarbon-Based Energy 430
Part 4 Freshwater Resources
14 Water Resources 464
15 Environmental Impacts on Water Resources 506
- Earth’s resources are discussed within the broader context of Earth-system* science.
- Introductory material (Part I) means no prerequisite Earth science courses are needed.
- Parts II, III and IV address mineral, energy, and water/soil resources, respectively.
- By classifying energy resources as carbon-based (fossil fuels) versus non carbon-based, man’s role in the global carbon cycle is emphasized.
- Four of the 15 chapters address environmental impacts of resource use and extraction.
- On nuclear energy and fossil fuels, three nuclear accidents and three major oil spills are compared and contrasted.
- Case studies on water resources include the United States, the Middle East, China and eastern Australia.
- Simple quantitative examples (such as the power of a wind turbine or a hydroelectric plant) are provided in text boxes throughout the book.
- Fundamental ideas on energy are outlined and the concepts of energy and power density are introduced (Chapter9).
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.