Statistics: Principles and Methods, 7th Edition
April 2014, ©2014
Statistics: Principles and Methods, 7th Edition provides a comprehensive, accurate introduction to statistics for business professionals who need to learn how to apply key concepts. The chapters include real-world data, designed to make the material more relevant. The numerous examples clearly demonstrate the important points of the methods. New What Will We Learn opening paragraphs set the stage for the material being discussed. Using Statistics Wisely boxes summarize key lessons. In addition, Statistics in Context sections give business professionals an understanding of applications in which a statistical approach to variation is needed.
2. Organization and Description of Data
3. Descriptive Study of Bivariate Data
5. Probability Distributions
6. The Normal Distribution
7. Variation in Repeated Samples-Sampling Distribution
8. Drawing Inferences From Large Samples
9. Small-Sample Inferences for Normal Populations
10. Comparing Two Treatments
11. Regression Analysis I
12. Regression Analysis- II
13. Analysis of Categorical Data
14. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA)
15. Nonparametric Inference
- A new section has been added on the Poisson distribution.
- More examples and problems have been added to the section on the law of total probability and Bayes’ theorem.
- The number and variety of applications and exercises have been expanded throughout the text.
- Data has been updated throughout the book.
- Crucial elements are boxed to highlight important concepts and methods essential for learning statistics. At the end of each chapter, all of its key ideas and formulas are summarized.
- A rich collection of examples and exercises is included. These are drawn from a large variety of real-life settings. In fact, many data sets stem from genuine experiments, surveys, or reports.
- Technology: At the end of most chapters are step-by-step directions for using MINITAB, EXCEL, and the TI-84 calculator. This concentrates the presentation of special purpose instructions so that, with few exceptions, only computer output is needed in the text.
- Regression analysis is a primary statistical technique so Johnson/Bhattacharyya provides a more thorough coverage of this topic than is usual at this level. Complex formulas and calculations are judiciously replaced by computer output so main ideas can be easily learned and appreciated by students.
- Computer Aided Statistical Analyses use software packages that can remove much of the drudgery of hand calculation and plotting. They allow students to work with larger data sets, where patterns are more pronounced, and make complicated calculations
- A Convenient Data Bank at the end of the book contains a substantial collection of data. These data sets, together with numerous others throughout the book, allow for considerable flexibility in the choice between concept-oriented and applications-oriented exercises.
WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS is packed with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–to give your students more value for their money. With WileyPLUS, students will succeed in statistics.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.