Professional Cooking, 8th Edition
April 2014, ©2014
Chapter 1: The Food-Service Industry
Chapter 2: Sanitation and Safety
Chapter 3: Tools and Equipment
Chapter 4: Menus, Recipes, and Cost Management
Chapter 5: Nutrition
Chapter 6: Basic Principles of Cooking and Food Science
Chapter 7: Mise en Place
Chapter 8: Stocks and Sauces
Chapter 9: Soups
Chapter 10: Understanding Vegetables
Chapter 11: Cooking Vegetables
Chapter 12: Potatoes
Chapter 13: Legumes, Grains, Pasta, and Other Starches
Chapter 14: Cooking Methods for Meat, Poultry, and Fish
Chapter 15: Understanding Meats and Game
Chapter 16: Cooking Meats and Game
Chapter 17: Understanding Poultry and Game Birds
Chapter 18: Cooking Poultry and Game Birds
Chapter 19: Understanding Fish and Shellfish
Chapter 20: Cooking Fish and Shellfish
Chapter 21: Salad Dressings and Salads
Chapter 22: Sandwiches
Chapter 23: Hors d’Oeuvres
Chapter 24: Breakfast Preparation
Chapter 25: Dairy and Beverages
Chapter 26: Cooking for Vegetarian Diets
Chapter 27: Sausages and Cured Foods
Chapter 28: Pâtés, Terrines, and Other Cold Foods
Chapter 29: Food Presentation
Chapter 30: Bakeshop Production: Basic Principles and Ingredients
Chapter 31: Yeast Products
Chapter 32: Quick Breads
Chapter 33: Cakes and Icings
Chapter 34: Cookies
Chapter 35: Pies and Pastries
Chapter 36: Creams, Custards, Puddings, Frozen Desserts, and Sauces
Appendix 1: Metric Conversion Factors.
Appendix 2: Standard Can Sizes.
Appendix 3: Approximate Weight-Volume Equivalents of Dry Foods.
Appendix 4: Kitchen Math Exercises: Metric Versions.
Appendix 5: Eggs and Safety.
Glossary and Cooking Vocabular.
- Each edition sees new photos added to the book, and this edition is no exception, with the addition of more than 125 new images detailing cooking procedures and reflecting modern plating styles.
- A new chapter, Chapter 14, outlines in detail the cooking methods for meats, poultry, and fish now precedes the 6 chapters devoted to these products. The new material focuses on basic techniques and procedures common to these foods, and reinforces understanding with background information, guidelines, and standards of quality for finished dishes. Procedures are extensively illustrated with photos, and each procedure is followed by a core recipe that embodies the technique.
- In addition to the new chapter, further reorganization of chaptersa new flow for the introductory chapters and the repositioning of the chapters on vegetable cookery ahead of meats and fishgives the text a smoother, more logical flow.
- The chapter on food presentation and plating, Chapter 29, has been rewritten and newly illustrated with up-to-date photos, giving the reader tools for designing modern platings appropriate for all types of food-service operations.
- Reduced yields for large-quantity recipes, in response to instructors’ requests.
- Realistic Procedures: Although supported by discussions of cooking theory, procedures given here are based on actual practices in the industry. Attention is given not just to quantity production but also to the special problems of cooking to order.
- Format: This book is designed to be readable and useful. The format emphasizes and highlights key points in bold type, italics, and numbered sequences, so basic information can be located and reviewed at a glance.
- Illustrations: Hundreds of clear, concise, full-color photographs, including 125 new to this edition, illustrate basic manual techniques shown from the point of view of the person performing them.
- Pronunciation Guides and Glossaries: Phonetic guides are included for difficult words, giving the approximate pronunciation using English sounds. Because food-service workers must be able to communicate with each other, definitions of terms introduced in the text are summarized in the glossary at the end of the book.
WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS is packed with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–to give your students more value for their money. With WileyPLUS, students will succeed in cooking.
New! Math Tutor white-board type exercises and review are available as an additional study aid in WileyPLUS. These video-like segments are brief examples of common math problems found in the kitchen. These videos are intended to demonstrate and reinforce math concepts--cited by instructors as the #1 issue students struggle with in this course
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.