Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft, 3rd Edition
February 2015, ©2016
Part One The Professional Baker and Pastry Chef
1 Career Opportunities for Baking and Pastry Professionals 2
2 Ingredient Identification 12
3 Equipment Identification 38
4 Advanced Baking Principles 60
5 Food and Kitchen Safety 76
6 Baking Formulas and Bakers’ Percentages 90
Part Two Yeast-Raised Breads and Rolls
7 Yeast-Raised Breads and Rolls 104
8 Advanced Yeast Breads and Rolls 152
Part Three Baking Building Blocks
9 Pastry Doughs and Batters 220
10 Quick Breads and Cakes 252
11 Cookies 328
12 Custards, Creams, Mousses, and Soufflés 392
13 Icings, Glazes, and Sauces 462
14 Frozen Desserts 554
Part Four Assembling and Finishing
15 Pies, Tarts, and Fruit Desserts 616
16 Filled and Assembled Cakes and Tortes 668
17 Breakfast Pastries 730
18 Individual Pastries 762
19 Savory Baking 818
20 Plated Desserts 858
21 Chocolates and Confections 902
22 Décor 976
23 Wedding And Specialty Cakes 1030
Appendix A Elemental Recipes 1064
Appendix B Décor Templates 1082
Appendix C Conversions, Equivalents, And Calculations 1084
Appendix D Readings And Resources 1086
Subject Index 1096
Recipe Index 1105
- 150 all-new recipes added with particular attention paid to savory baking as well as plated desserts and special occasion cakes which were revised to reflect current industry trends
- 50% all new photos added throughout
- New information concerning issues of sustainability and seasonality and volume food service in the bakeshop
- The first part of the book relays fundamental information about the profession, ingredients, and equipment and then moves to discuss the principles of understanding how baking formulas work.
- The second and third parts introduce chapters that apply the information and knowledge from the previous ones, introducing foundation recipes, some of which can stand alone and others which serve as a component or base for a more complex item.
- The final part the book uses the foundation of the previous chapters to create assembled and finished baking and pastry items.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.