February 2014, ©2014
CHAPTER 1. The Principles of Remarkable Service 2
CHAPTER 2. Styles of Service 20
CHAPTER 3. A Clean and Safe Dining Room 48
CHAPTER 4. Preparing and Maintaining the Dining Room for Remarkable Service 72
CHAPTER 5. Reservations and Waiting Lists 110
CHAPTER 6. Serving Guests 136
CHAPTER 7. Beverage Service 176
CHAPTER 8. Wine Service 208
CHAPTER 9. Banquet Service in the Restaurant 230
CHAPTER 10. Remarkable Service Interactions 254
TRADE AND PROFESSIONAL GROUPS 2 79
- Added a new chapter, Chapter 3, A Clean and Safe Dining Room, in order to address issues of cleanliness and hygiene for workers, sanitary procedures for handling tabletop items, and safety concerns in the event of accidents or injury in the dining room.
- Added a new chapter, Chapter 5, Reservations and Waiting Lists, to better coordinate information and procedures to provide the best possible service whether you are taking reservations, timing, seating, using waiting lists, managing special requests, or taking group reservations.
- All new photographs provide clear details and instruction.
- Clear chapter objectives enable student progress to be observed and evaluated.
- Combined the history and traditions of professional table service and styles of table service into a single chapter, Chapter 2, Styles of Service, to give these service styles context for today’s restaurant.
- Most comprehensive, contemporary approach to the front of the house operation on the market, from one of the leading culinary institutions in the world. It ranges from formal French tableside service to casual American family and buffet style service.
- Includes a history of table service; styles of food service; dining room organization and personnel; reservations; service "mise en place;" food service; beverage service; wine service; special service challenges; handling money; controls and systems; banquets; safety and sanitation.
- Includes expert advice on everything from styles of table service to wine service to coffee service to money handling, all accompanied by useful sidebars and detailed photography.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.