Pura vida: Beginning Spanish
February 2014, ©2014
Culture, culture, culture! In Pura vida: Beginning Spanish, Spanish is more than vocabulary and grammar, and Spanish-speaking cultures are more than products and practices. Pura vida is the discovery of a Spanish-speaking world through the experiences of real people that students can relate to, who share anecdotes and reflections on their experiences. Students make deeper, more meaningful connections between language and culture than in other programs and acquire Spanish with an unparalleled sense of personal engagement. Students don’t only learn Spanish for real life, but also from real life, discovering that there is not just one homogeneous Hispanic culture, but rather that each Spanish-speaking country has its own rich, unique culture and that the people who live in these countries speak one common language with different accents, characteristics, and idiosyncrasies. This first-edition program offers truly seamless integration of cultural notions and language instruction, and features 100% contextualized and personalized activities.
Capítulo Preliminar: !A conocerse!
Capítulo 1: La sala de clases
Capítulo 2: Día a día
Capítulo 3: La vida doméstica
Capítulo 4: El trabajo y la ciudad
Capítulo 5: La vida social
Capítulo 6: Un viaje al pasado
Capítulo 7: Los restaurantes y las comidas
Capítulo 8: El mundo del entretenimiento
Capítulo 9: Nuestro planeta
Capítulo 10: La salud y el bienestar
Capítulo 11: Un mundo global
Capítulo 12: Los hispanos en Estados Unidos
- Contextualized, personalized, and task-based practice: In Pura vida, activities are either rooted in the context of the real-life stories of Americans visiting Spanish- speaking countries that tap into students’ own lives and perspectives, or written to have students do something with the language from their own personal perspective. Practice for the sake of practice is not part of the Pura vida experience.
- Authenticity: Building on the real-life foundation of Pura vida, Una perspectiva and Otra perspectiva sections engage students in dialog with real people sharing their thoughts and experiences, and reading selections are taken from a variety of authentic sources, cover a wide range of genres and incorporate the vocabulary, grammar structures and cultural focus of each chapter.
- Strategic skill development: Pura vida offers strategies and multiple opportunities for developing all four language skills, and for practice using those skills in all communicative modes.
- Teacher-friendly program: While taking a student-centered approach, Pura vida is written by three Spanish teachers who are in the classroom every day, and is thus practical, useful and very straightforward for experienced and novice instructors alike. It brims with cultural information, teaching tips, and step-by-step procedures for managing communicative tasks in the classroom.
The En vivo Option: Live Language CoachingWith the En vivo option, regularly scheduled, live online coaching sessions reinforce language skills and further explore cultural notions. A special set of activities provides a framework for conversation, and a native-speaking language coach encourages students practice the Spanish they’re learning in Pura vida in weekly small-group sessions. Aside from the opportunity to practice, our research shows that students using En vivo display a sharp decline in anxiety about speaking Spanish in the regular classroom.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.