Understanding Abnormal Child Psychology, 3rd Edition
January 2014, ©2014
Understanding Abnormal Child Psychology, 3rd edition, emphasizes developmental psychopathology as a means for understanding and treating abnormal behavior in children. The text emphasizes strengths and healthy outcomes as a means for designing effective therapies to help children and families, as well as focusing on prevention as a cornerstone of managing child behavior. Throughout this book, special attention is given to issues of diversity, inclusion, and understanding. The text also examines the relationships between children and parents as well as with other primary figures within families (i.e., siblings, step-parents, care-taking grandparents, foster parents, etc.). The 3rd edition has been updated to include DSM-5.
Chapter 1 Conceptualizations of Normality and Abnormality in Children and Adolescents
Chapter 2 Theories of Normality and Abnormality in Children and Adolescents
Chapter 3 Research Methods in the Study of Developmental Psychopathology
Chapter 4 Assessment and Therapeutic Interventions with Children, Adolescents, and Families
Chapter 5 Risk Factors and Issues of Prevention
Chapter 6 Protective Factors and Issues of Prevention
Chapter 7 Depressive Disorders, Bipolar Disorders, and Related Problems
Chapter 8 Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, and Trauma- and Stressor- Related Disorders and Problems
Chapter 9 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Related Problems
Chapter 10 Disruptive and Conduct Disorders and Related Problems
Chapter 11 Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence
Chapter 12 Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Schizophrenia
Chapter 13 Learning Disorders and Mental Retardation
Chapter 14 Pediatric Psychology and Health Psychology for Children and Adolescents
Chapter 15 How You Can Help Children
- Highlighted sections help students to see the commonalities and differences of abnormal child behavior within a cross-cultural and international context.
- Case studies and stories about children, adolescents, and families throughout apply the scholarly literature to real life.
- Readings and films suggestions at the end of each chapter for first-hand accounts of abnormal child psychology.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.