Student Survival Skills: Care Skills for Nurses
December 2013, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
Survive clinical skills training with this essential guide for
all student nurses.
Providing words of wisdom and advice from real-life student nurses, Care Skills for Nurses is an easy-to-read, quick-reference guide to all the key care skills you need to know – boosting your confidence and competence both in the clinical skills lab and on your clinical placements.
- Developed by students, for students
- Clear, straightforward, and jargon-free
- Ties in with the NMC standards for pre-registration education and the Essential Skills Clusters
- Examples and questions based on real life nursing and healthcare situations
- Available in a range of digital formats
1 CARE AND COMPASSION IN NURSING 1
2 BASIC INFECTION CONTROL AND ASEPTIC TECHNIQUE 7
3 PERFORMING PERSONAL CARE 23
4 CONTINENCE CARE 35
5 PRESSURE ULCER CARE 49
6 PATIENT SAFETY 63
7 STOMA CARE 81
8 PERI-OPERATIVE CARE 93
9 ANAPHYLAXIS 105
10 ECG RECORDING 125
11 NUTRITION AND HYDRATION CARE 139
12 WOUND CARE 153
ANSWERS TO ACTIVITIES, QUESTIONS AND TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE 167
APPENDIX 1: THE COMPONENTS OF MEDICAL WORDS AND TERMS 175
APPENDIX 2: WEIGHT CONVERSION CHARTS 189
Claire Boyd is a Practice Development Trainer at North Bristol NHS Trust, Bristol, UK.
“All in all I think these books are great for students and newly qualified nurses and I think that Care Skills would probably be extremely useful for HCAs and APs too.” (A Nurse’s Notes, 30 January 2014)
“All in all, a really handy book to have that you can refer back to at any stage of your course to help you out with any aspect of drug administration.” (The Student Nurse, 1 January 2014)
“Receiving this book just before starting my first placement has been particularly helpful, and it has, as it promised to do, increased my confidence and competence in clinical practice. The fact that it provides advice based on student-nurse knowledge and reflects NMC standards assures me that the information given is appropriate but essential and detailed. It’ll be a great help to glance over at any stage of the course and will be a much-loved book of mine, I’m sure!.” (Nursepraylove, 23 January 2014)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.