Lecture Notes: Paediatrics, 9th Edition
March 2014, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
Paediatrics Lecture Notes provides the information
central to a thorough understanding of the care of children in
clinical practice, drawing out key concepts in areas such as
examination, communication and emergency paediatrics, in addition
to systematically structured clinical topics.
Incorporating brand new and updated material to reflect advances in various areas of child and adolescent health, such as genetics, behavioural and emotional problems and seizures, this edition is also ideal for exam preparation.
Key learning features include:
• Ready-made revision lists, OSCE stations and practice EMQs
• New ‘icon’ system highlighting essential clinical topics throughout
• Helpful key points and treatment boxes in every chapter
• A new ‘Symptom Sorter’, available at www.lecturenoteseries.com/paediatrics, to help quickly determine which conditions should feature in your differential diagnoses
An ideal resource for those encountering this area of study for the first time, on paediatric rotation, or needing to refresh their knowledge, Paediatrics Lecture Notes presents the vital information in one accessible and user friendly volume.
OSCE stations, vi
Further reading, ix
How to use your textbook, x
About the companion website, xvi
Part 1 Essentials of paediatrics
1 Children and their health, 2
2 Parents and children: listening and talking, 16
3 Examination of children, 25
4 Emergency paediatrics, 40
Part 2 Normal and abnormal in childhood: growth, development, behaviour and prevention
5 Genetics, 51
6 Fetal medicine, 58
7 Birth and the newborn infant, 62
8 Disorders of the newborn, 71
9 Child development and how to assess it, 81
10 Learning problems, 89
11 Emotional and behavioural problems, 99
12 Nutrition, 109
13 Abnormal growth and sex development, 118
14 Immunization and infections, 124
15 Accidents and non-accidents, 139
16 Adolescent health, 149
Part 3 Systems and specialties
17 Neurology, 156
18 Ear, nose and throat, 172
19 Respiratory medicine, 177
20 Cardiology, 191
21 Gastroenterology, 204
22 Urinary Tract and Genitalia, 220
23 Bones and joints, 234
24 Skin, 242
25 Haematology, 250
26 Neoplasia, 256
27 Endocrine and metabolic disorders, 261
Part 4 After paediatrics
28 Preparing for clinical examinations in paediatrics and child health, 270
29 Safe prescribing, 279
30 Careers in paediatrics, 283
Extended matching questions, 285
Answers to extended matching questions, 301
Paediatric symptom sorter, 308
Jonathan Darling is Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in Paediatrics and Child Health at University of Leeds and Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
• Ideal for five week paediatrics block: highlighted clinical topics and treatment boxes
• Take-home messages presented in key point boxes
• Prepare for exams with OSCE stations, ready made revision lists and practice EMQs
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.