The Hands-on Guide to Practical Paediatrics
May 2014, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
Winner of the Paediatrics category at the BMA Book Awards 2015
About to start a paediatrics rotation?
Working with children for the first time?
Thinking about a career in paediatrics?
The Hands-on Guide to Practical Paediatrics is the ultimate practical guide for medical students encountering paediatrics for the first time, junior doctors thinking about working with children, and new paediatric trainees. It’s full of vital information on practical procedures, prescribing for young patients, and communicating with children and young people, as well as guidance on the paediatric training programme and paediatrics as a career.
Full of clinical tips, and covering key information on developmental stages, common paediatric emergencies and ethical dilemmas, and child protection, The Hands-on Guide to Practical Paediatrics is also supported by online resources including practice prescribing scenarios and video content at www.wileyhandsonguides.com/paediatrics
Take the stress out of paediatrics with The Hands-on Guide!
About the companion website xiii
1 Getting started 1
2 Child development 19
3 Communication with children and their parents 37
4 Child protection and safeguarding 60
5 Common paediatric emergencies 88
6 Practical procedures 144
7 Prescribing in children 179
8 Teenagers 192
9 Neonates 200
10 Looking after yourself 218
11 Developing your career 234
Rebecca Hewitson is Paediatrics Specialist Trainee,
London Deanery, The Whittington Hospital and Royal Free Hospital,
Caroline Fertleman is Consultant Paediatrician, The Whittington Hospital
Site Sub-Dean and Honorary Senior Lecturer, University College London Medical School
Training Programme Director, School of Paediatrics, London Deanery
Honorary Consultant, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.