Mentorship in Academic Medicine
December 2013, ©2014, BMJ Books
Mentorship in Academic Medicine is an evidence-based
guide for establishing and maintaining successful mentoring
relationships for both mentors and mentees.
Drawing upon the existing evidence-base on academic mentoring in medicine and the health sciences, it applies a case-stimulus learning approach to the common challenges and opportunities in mentorship in academic medicine. Each chapter begins with cases that take the reader into the evidence around specific issues in mentorship and provides actionable messages and recommendations for both correcting and preventing the problems presented in the cases.
Accompanying the text is an interactive, online learning resource on mentorship. This e-tool provides updated resources for mentors and mentees, including video clips and podcasts with effective mentors who share their mentorship tips and strategies for effective mentorship. It also provides updated departmental and institutional strategies for establishing, running, and evaluating effective mentoring programs.
Mentorship in Academic Medicine provides useful strategies and tactics for overcoming the common problems and flaws in mentoring programs and fostering productive and successful mentoring relationships and is a valuable guide for both mentors and mentees.
Chapter 1: What is the evidence for mentorship? 1
Chapter 2: What are the characteristics and behaviors of effective mentors and mentees? 11
Chapter 3: How can you initiate mentorship? 25
Chapter 4.1: Some effective mentoring strategies and tactics 35
Part 1: Mentorship meetings, priority setting, and time-management 35
Chapter 4.2: Some effective mentoring strategies and tactics 50
Part 2: Protecting mentees from ‘‘dys-opportunities’’ 50
Chapter 4.3: Some effective mentoring strategies and tactics 72
Part 3: Mentoring for knowledge generation 72
Chapter 4.4: Some effective mentoring strategies and tactics 87
Part 4: Mentoring for knowledge dissemination 87
Chapter 4.5: Some effective mentoring strategies and tactics 99
Part 5: Mentoring for promotion, protection, and job prospects 99
Chapter 5: How can you assess, diagnose, and treat mentorship that is in trouble? 110
Chapter 6: How can you initiate and maintain a mentorship progam? 119
Chapter 7: How can you evaluate the impact of a mentorship program? 133
Chapter 8: How can you scale up and sustain a mentorship program? 148
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.