Clinical Nutrition, 2nd Edition
January 2013, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
This second edition of Clinical Nutrition, in the acclaimed textbook series by the Nutrition Society, has been revised and updated in order to:
- Provide students with the required scientific basis in nutrition, in the context of a systems and health approach.
- Enable teachers and students to explore the core principles of nutrition and to apply these throughout their training to foster critical thinking at all times. Each chapter identifies the key areas of knowledge that must be understood and also the key points of critical thought that must accompany the acquisition of this knowledge.
- Are fully peer reviewed to ensure completeness and clarity of content, as well as to ensure that each book takes a global perspective and is applicable for use by nutritionists and on nutrition courses throughout the world.
Ground breaking in scope and approach, with an additional chapter on nutritional screening and a student companion website, this second edition is designed for use on nutrition courses throughout the world and is intended for those with an interest in nutrition in a clinical setting. Covering the scientific basis underlying nutritional support, medical ethics and nutritional counselling, it focuses solely on the sick and metabolically compromised patient, dealing with clinical nutrition on a system by system basis making the information more accessible to the students.
This is an essential purchase for students of nutrition and dietetics, and also for those students who major in other subjects that have a nutrition component, such as food science, medicine, pharmacy and nursing. Professionals in nutrition, dietetics, food sciences, medicine, health sciences and many related areas will also find this an important resource.
Libraries in universities, medical schools and establishments teaching and researching in the area of nutrition will find Clinical Nutrition a valuable addition to their shelves.
Series Foreword ix
First Edition Acknowledgements xiii
1 Principles of Clinical Nutrition: Contrasting the Practice of Nutrition in Health and Disease 1
2 Nutritional Screening and Assessment 15
Marinos Elia and Rebecca J Stratton
3 Water and Electrolytes 27
Abeed H Chowdhury and Dileep N Lobo
4 Over-nutrition 47
5 Under-nutrition 81
Anura V Kurpad and Isabelle Aeberli
6 Metabolic Disorders 97
Luc Tappy and Jean-Marc Schwarz
7 Eating Disorders 108
8 Adverse Reactions to Foods 123
Simon H Murch
9 Nutritional Support 140
Esther van den Hogen, Marian AE van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren, and Cora F Jonkers-Schuitema
10 Ethics and Nutrition 161
Clare McNaught and John MacFie
11 The Gastrointestinal Tract 176
Miquel A Gassull and Eduard Cabré
12 Nutrition in Liver Disease 193
Mathias Plauth and Tatjana Schütz
13 Nutrition and the Pancreas 208
Paula McGurk and Marinos Elia
14 The Kidney 230
Roberta Situlin and Gianfranco Guarnieri
15 Nutritional and Metabolic Support in Haematological Malignancies and Haematopoietic Stem-cell Transplantation 253
Maurizio Muscaritoli, Saveria Capria, Anna Paola Iori, and Filippo Rossi Fanelli
16 The Lung 266
Peter Collins and Marinos Elia
17 Nutrition and Immune and Inflammatory Systems 276
Bruce R Bistrian and Robert F Grimble
18 The Heart and Blood Vessels 300
Kate Gatenby, Stephen Wheatcroft, and Mark Kearney
19 Nutritional Aspects of Disease Affecting the Skeleton 327
20 Nutrition in Surgery and Trauma 350
Olle Ljungqvist and Ken Fearon
21 Infectious Diseases 363
Nicholas I Paton, Miguel A Gassull, and Eduard Cabré
22 Nutritional Support in Patients with Cancer 385
23 Paediatric Nutrition 420
Anthony F Williams
24 Cystic Fibrosis 477
John A Dodge
25 Illustrative Cases 492
Simon P Allison
Visit the supporting companion website for this book: www.wiley.com/go/elia/clinicalnutrition
Marinos Elia, Institute of Human Nutrition, University of Southampton, UK
Olle Ljungquist, Centre for Gastrointestinal Disease, Stockholm, Sweden
Julie Dowsett, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
- Facilitates absorption of information through 'key messages' at the start of each chapter
- Designed to meet the needs of students of nutrition worldwide
- Cross-referenced across the series to enable flow of learning
- Written by a team of internationally renowned experts
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.