Fundamentals of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A Systems Approach
January 2014, ©2012, Wiley-Blackwell
Fundamentals of Medical-Surgical Nursing: a Systems Approach is a comprehensive yet easy-to-read overview of medical and surgical nursing, designed specifically to support all nursing students learning to care for the adult patient. Highly illustrated and with an easy-to-follow systems-based structure, it provides a thorough foundation in anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, medical management, and nursing care for the full spectrum of adult health conditions.
Key features include:
- Extensive coverage of principles of nursing assessment, medication administration, infection prevention and control, and nutritional care
- Key need-to-know-information and definitions for the anatomy, physiology, and pathology of a range of illnesses and conditions
- Detailed overviews of nursing care, including patient education, treatment, and complications
- An online resource centre with a range of extras for both lecturers and students, including case studies, reflective activities, interactive multiple choice questions, and further reading lists
Fundamentals of Medical-Surgical Nursing: a Systems Approach is the ideal textbook to help students succeed on their adult nursing course.
The companion website website www.wileyfundamentalseries.com/medicalnursing contains:
- Interactive multiple-choice questions
- Reflective questions for downloading
- Case studies
- Links to online resources
When you purchase the book you also receive access to the Wiley E-Text: Powered by VitalSource. This is an interactive digital version of the book, featuring downloadable text and images, highlighting and note-taking facilities, bookmarking, cross-referencing, in-text searching, and linking to references and abbreviations.
Fundamentals of Medical-Surgical Nursing is also available on CourseSmart, offering extra functionality as well as an immediate way to access the book. For more details, see www.coursesmart.co.uk/9780470658239.
About the series ix
About the editors xii
How to get the best out of your textbook xviii
About the companion website xxi
Part 1: Common Principles Underlying Medical and Surgical Nursing Practice 1
Chapter 1 Principles of nursing assessment 2
Chapter 2 Principles of drug administration 12
Chapter 3 Principles of intravenous therapy 26
Chapter 4 Principles of nutritional care 44
Carolyn Best and Helen Hitchings
Chapter 5 Principles of infection prevention and control
Sile Creedon and Maura Smiddy
Chapter 6 Principles of acute care for older people 78
Louise Daly, Debbie Tolson and Anna Ayton
Chapter 7 Principles of end of life care 90
Chapter 8 Principles of perioperative nursing 104
Joy O’Neill, Bernie Pennington and Adele Nightingale
Chapter 9 Principles of high-dependency nursing 124
Chapter 10 Principles of emergency nursing 142
Valerie Small, Gabrielle Dunne and Catherine McCabe
Part 2: Adult Medical and Surgical Nursing 155
Chapter 11 Nursing care of conditions related to the skin
Zena Moore and Julie Jordan O’Brien
Chapter 12 Nursing care of conditions related to the respiratory
Anne Marie Corroon and Geralyn Hynes
Chapter 13 Nursing care of conditions related to the circulatory
Kate Olson and Tracey Bowden
Chapter 14 Nursing care of conditions related to the digestive
Joanne Cleary-Holdforth and Therese Leufer
Chapter 15 Nursing care of conditions related to the urinary
Margaret McCann, Ciara White and Louisa Fleure
Chapter 16 Nursing care of conditions related to the endocrine
David Chaney and Anna Clarke
Chapter 17 Nursing care of conditions related to the
neurological system 326
Elaine Pierce and Mary E. Braine
Chapter 18 Nursing care of conditions related to the immune
Michael Coughlan and Mary Nevin
Chapter 19 Nursing care of conditions related to haematological
Mairead Ni Chonghaile and Laura O’Regan
Chapter 20 Nursing care of conditions related to the
musculoskeletal system 422
Sonya Clarke and Julia Kneale
Chapter 21 Nursing care of conditions related to the ear, nose,
throat and eye 448
Dympna Tuohy, Jane McCarthy, Carmel O’Sullivan and Niamh Hurley
Chapter 22 Nursing care of conditions related to reproductive
Debra Holloway and Louisa Fleure
“This is book is aimed at pre-registration nursing students and other healthcare students but would also be appropriate for training or qualified assistant practitioners. It would also be useful to newly qualified nurses working in medical or surgical areas.” (Nursing Times, 1 August 2014)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.