PACS and Imaging Informatics: Basic Principles and Applications, 2nd Edition
January 2010, ©2010, Wiley-Blackwell
In recent years, the field of picture archiving and communications systems—PACS—and image informatics has advanced due to both conceptual and technological advancements. This edition of PACS and Imaging Informatics: Basic Principles and Applications addresses the latest in this exciting field. In contrast to the previous edition, this updated text uses the framework of image informatics, not physics or engineering principles, to explain PACS. It is the only resource that thoroughly covers the critical issues of hardware/software design and implementation in a systematic and easily comprehensible manner.
To strengthen and update the book, the author:
Emphasizes clinical applications of PACS and integrates clinical examples throughout the text
Reflects the many changes in the field, with new chapters on Web-based PACS, security, integrating the healthcare enterprise, clinical management systems, and the electronic patient record
Uses the framework of imaging informatics to explain PACS, making the book accessible to those without advanced knowledge of physics, engineering, math, or information technology
Explains how PACS can improve workflow, therapy, and treatment
With the most systematic and thorough coverage of practical applications available, this text is the complete guide for all those involved in designing, implementing, and using PACS. Professionals in medical and allied health imaging informatics; radiologists and their technical staff; surgeons and oncologists and their teams; medical and electronic engineers; medical informaticians; and fellows, graduate students, and advanced undergraduates will all benefit from this valuable resource.
"An excellent book for people involved in the design,
implementation, or simply the operations of PACS and an appropriate
—From a review of the previous edition in IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology
"The strength of the book lies in the vast experience of the
author, who has implemented PACS at numerous institutions in the
United States and abroad."
—From a review of the previous edition in Radiology
PREFACE OF THE LAST EDITION.
H. K. HUANG SHORT BIOGRAPHY.
LIST OF ACRONYMS.
PART I MEDICAL IMAGING PRINCIPLES.
2. Digital Medical Image Fundamentals.
3. Two-Dimensional Medical Imaging.
4. Three-Dimensional Medical Imaging.
5. Four-Dimensionality, Multimodality, and Fusion of Medical Imaging.
6. Image Compression.
PART II PACS FUNDAMENTALS.
7. Picture Archiving and Communication System Components and Workflow.
8. Communications and Networking.
9. Industrial Standards (HL7 and DICOM) and Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE).
10. Image Acquisition Gateway.
11. PCS Server and Archive.
12. Display Workstation.
13. Integration of HIS, RIS, PACS, and ePR.
PART III PACS OPERATION.
14. PACS Data Management and Web-Based Image Distribution.
15. Telemedicine and Teleradiology.
16. Fault-Tolerant PACS and Enterprise PACS.
17. Image/Data Security.
18. PACS Clinical Implementation, Acceptance, and Evaluation.
19. PACS Clinical Experience, Pitfalls, and Bottlenecks.
PART IV PACS- AND DICOM-BASED IMAGING INFORMATICS.
20. DICOM-Based Medical Imaging Informatics.
21. Data Grid for PACS and Medical Imaging Informatics.
22. Multimedia Electronic Patient Record (ePR) System.
23. Multimedia Electronic Patient Record System in Radiation Therapy.
24. Multimedia Electronic Patient Record (ePR) System for Image-Assisted.Spinal Surgery.
25. Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) and Image-Guided Decision Support.
26. Integration of Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) with PACS.
27. Location Tracking and Verification System in Clinical Environment.
28. New Directions in PACS and Medical Imaging Informatics Training.
PACS AND IMAGING INFORMATICS GLOSSARY.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.