Fundamentals of Nursing Models, Theories and Practice with Wiley E-Text, 2nd Edition
June 2014, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
A concise, accessible introduction to the development, application and evaluation of nursing theories, this new edition of Fundamentals of Nursing Models, Theories & Practice provides a thorough overview of the body of knowledge on the topic, and a clear outline of their relevance to everyday nursing practice. Linking the development of theory to practice, this full-updated text features learning outcomes, key concept summaries and reflective exercises to aid the study of this key element of all modern nursing courses.
- Clearly examines the relationship between nursing theory, clinical practice and nursing roles
- Accessible and user-friendly with a range of features to help study, including key concepts, learning objectives and reflective exercises
- Useful for all pre-registration nursing students, as well as newly qualified nurses
- Accompanied by an online resource centre featuring case studies, multiple choice questions, exercises and activities
About the series viii
How to use your textbook xii
About the companion website xvii
Chapter 1 The case for nursing theory 1
The necessity and meaning of theory 4
Theory defined 5
Construction of theory 9
Theory and science of nursing 11
Other interpretations of theory 13
Main paradigms and philosophies and their influence on the development of nursing science 14
Theory and practice of nursing 16
Do we really need theory? 18
Nursing theories today 18
Chapter 2 Knowing in nursing and nursing knowledge 23
Defining knowing and knowledge 24
Philosophies of knowledge 25
How do nurses know? 35
Developing nursing knowledge 48
Chapter 3 Theory from practice and practice from theory 53
First steps – reflecting on theory 54
The questions begged 55
Developing nursing theory 56
Levels of theory 58
The relationship between theory and practice 69
The questions begged – some answers 76
Chapter 4 Nursing theories and new nursing roles 79
Defining role 81
Background to the development of new roles in nursing 81
Some implications of the new nursing roles 84
Using theory to understand new roles in nursing 85
Chapter 5 Nursing theories or nursing models 99
Reasons for historical nursing theory evolution 100
Theory or model? 104
The classification of theories 106
Current trends in nursing theories 109
The nursing metaparadigm 110
Limitations of nursing theories 114
Benefits of nursing theories 118
Chapter 6 Interpersonal relationships: the essence of nursing models and theories 123
Types of interpersonal relationships 124
Interpersonal theories of nursing 127
Implications for nurse education 133
Social capital 135
Threats to the development of interpersonal relationships in nursing and the use of interpersonal theories 136
Chapter 7 How to select a suitable model or theory 140
Selecting an appropriate nursing theory 142
Potential problems when selecting a nursing theory 143
Choosing a suitable nursing theory 150
Nurses’ own philosophy as a basis for selecting a theory 153
A strategy for choice 154
Who should select the theory? 155
Nursing theories or theories developed by another discipline? 156
Chapter 8 Research and theory: some relationships 161
Building theory through research: an inductive approach 162
Is the link between theory and research strong? 165
Research in nursing 166
Theory-generating research (TGR) 167
Theory-testing research (TTR) 171
Theory-framed research (TFR) 174
Theory-evaluating research (TER) 175
Strategies for theory development through research 180
Chapter 9 Criteria for theory description, analysis and evaluation 186
The evaluator of a nursing theory 187
Significance of the theory 187
Step 1: Theory description 189
Step 2: Theory analysis 192
Step 3: Theory evaluation 201
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.