Mental Health Nursing at a Glance
November 2014, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
Everything you need to know about Mental Health Nursing…at a Glance!
From the publishers of the market-leading at a Glance series comes the perfect companion for study and revision for pre-registration mental health nursing students. This brand new nursing title is the perfect accompaniment for pre-registration nursing courses, and is the revision aid that you have been waiting for! Divided into three sections, this book first explores the essential clinical skills needed by nurses, using the NMC Essential Skills Clusters as an organising framework. The second section goes on to look at common disorders and approaches. The third section then discusses the leadership and organisational skills required by nurses, again derived from the NMC standards.
- Breaks down complex aspects of mental health care in an accessible and un-intimidating way
- The perfect revision and consolidation textbook
- Linked closely with the NMC standards for pre-registration nursing education, and the essential skills clusters framework
- Explores a broad range of mental health disorders, from care of children right up to care of older people
- Looks at mental health nursing in all settings, including acute, forensic and community
- Highly visual colour presentation
- Includes boxes, summary boxes, reflective opportunities and case studies to improve the learning experience
How to use your revision guide vii
About the companion website x
Practice tree example xiv
Part 1 Essential skills 1
1 Care, compassion and communication 2
2 Building therapeutic relationships 4
3 Values-based practice 6
4 Managing clinical risk 8
5 Infection prevention and control 10
6 Nutrition and fluid management 12
7 Elimination 14
8 Clinical observations 16
9 Documentation 18
10 Medicines management 20
Part 2 Nursing individuals with mental health needs 23
11 Assessment 24
12 Risk 26
13 Classification 28
14 Psychological interventions 31
15 Schizophrenia 34
16 Depression 36
17 Bipolar affective disorder 38
18 Anxiety 40
19 Eating disorders 42
20 Personality disorders 44
21 Learning disabilities and mental health 46
22 Functional disorders in older adults 48
23 Dementia 50
24 Acute confusional states 52
25 Drug and alcohol misuse 54
26 Children and adolescent mental health 56
27 Recovery 58
28 Physical wellbeing 60
29 Mental health law 62
30 Medication and ECT 66
Part 3 Leadership skills 71
31 Organising care 72
32 Leadership 74
33 Managing people 76
34 Time management 78
35 Decision-making 80
36 Utilising research 82
37 Reflection 84
38 Lifelong learning 86
Appendix: Clinical procedures 88
References and bibliography 92
- Builds on the strengths of existing at a Glance titles already published in the medical education programme
- Far more accessible and less intimidating than other mental health nursing textbooks on the market
- Pulls together all relevant content that a pre-registration nursing student will need, with no unnecessary extras
- The at a Glance approach incorporates both images and text, appealing to both visual and non-visual learners
- The perfect revision and consolidation book
- Breaks down complex aspects of mental health care in an accessible and un-daunting way
- Explores mental health in all settings, including acute, forensic and community
- Covers a broad range of disorders, from children to care of older people
- Uses the latest NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council) guidance as the framework for the book, tying in exactly with curricula
- Includes access to a companion website featuring web links, case studies, and multiple choice questions
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.