Soft-Tissue Lasers in Dental Hygiene
January 2013, ©2013, Wiley-Blackwell
The uses and benefits of soft-tissue lasers in dental hygiene practice are myriad. Lasers are used for more effective debridement, scaling and planning, with less pain and bleeding. Hygienists can detect sub- and supra-gingival calculus, remove the bacteria in pockets, and remove granulation, among other treatments.
Soft-tissue Lasers in Dental Hygiene is the first book to explain laser use in periodontal therapy. Authors Jessica Blayden and Angie Mott are registered dental hygienists who have been using laser therapy in their dental hygiene practices for several years, and here they share their experience. Blayden and Mott begin by discussing laser history, physics, components, and safety. They then describe the specifics of periodontal therapy—what lasers can be used for, how to implement them, techniques, and protocols. The authors also present case studies that demonstrate how treatment plans are implemented for varying levels of periodontal disease. The authors conclude with chapters on patient communication and practice management.
1 Laser history 3
2 Laser physics 9
3 Laser components 19
4 Lasers available in dentistry 27
5 Periodontal therapy 47
6 What can be achieved with lasers: possible guided-tissue regeneration 61
7 Laser applications for the dental hygienist 75
8 How to implement lasers in dental hygiene 79
9 Communication skills for the dental hygienist 97
10 Insurance codes: how is laser paid for? 107
11 Laser cases 115
Appendix: further educational options for laser dental hygienists 219
Jessica Blayden, RDH, has been a hygienist for 11 years practicing in San Diego CA, and now in Utah. She is a member of the Academy of Laser Dentistry and on the Auxillary Board; in addition she also has her Standard Proficiency and is working on the third part of the Advanced Proficiency with the Academy of Laser Dentistry. She has completed Mastership status in the World Clinical Laser Institute in the area of diode lasers. Jessica speaks and conducts hygiene Soft Tissue Diode Certification Courses for Perio Laser Institute and provides Continuing Education as a PACE provider all throughout the country and Canada. She also speaks for a variety of other laser manufacturers, hygiene companies and conducts in-office training for private dental practices.Angie Mott, RDH, has been a clinical hygienist for more than 20 years and has been working with lasers since 2000. She is a member of the Academy of Laser Dentistry (ALD), where she obtained her Advanced level proficiency, her Educator Status and received her ALD Recognized Course Provider in 2007 and her Mastership with ALD in 2008. She currently serves as Auxiliary Chair for the ALD Board of Directors and serves on the Regulatory Affairs, Education, Membership, Advertising and the Scientific Sessions Committees. Angie is a past presenter for the ALD, Oklahoma Dental Association, Arkansas State Dental Board, Kentucky Dental Association, RDH Under one Roof, as well as several others. Angie teaches in-office laser certification courses for private offices throughout the United States and Canada, as well as for Las Vegas institute (LVI) in Las Vegas, NV.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.