Student Survival Skills: Study Skills for Nurses
October 2014, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
Survive academic study with this snappy guide to research techniques and strategies for all student nurses.
Providing words of wisdom and tips from real student nurses, Study Skills for Nurses enables you to develop your own individual ways of studying for those all important projects, with exercises, step-by-step guides and tricks to help you get ahead.
- Developed by students for students
- Clear, straightforward and jargon-free
- Ties in with the NMC standards for pre-registration education and the Essential Skills Clusters.
- Takes away the fear of study and independent research projects, making it approachable, easy and fun
1 LEARNING AT UNIVERSITY 1
2 UNDERSTANDING HOW YOU LEARN 17
3 TAKING CONTROL 31
4 INFORMATION SKILLS 43
by Beverley Murray, edited by Claire Boyd
5 READING EFFECTIVELY 57
by Claire Boyd and Beverley Murray
6 MAKING NOTES 81
7 PLAGIARISM AND REFERENCING 99
8 WRITING SKILLS 111
9 ORAL PRESENTATIONS 145
10 PREPARING FOR EXAMS 163
11 WRITING A PORTFOLIO 171
12 LEARNING IN PRACTICE 183
13 MINIMISING STRESS 197
ANSWERS TO ACTIVITIES AND TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE 207
APPENDIX 1: EXAMPLES OF QUESTION FRAMEWORKS 230
APPENDIX 2: GLOSSARY OF EVIDENCE TYPES 231
APPENDIX 3: HELP WITH ANALYSIS OF RESULTS 232
APPENDIX 4: THE NEW NHS IN 2013: WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOU 233
- A concise, pocket-sized companion on study skills, aimed at student nurses beginning their course, looking for a refresher on key skills, or returning to further study
- By students for students: tips, advice and words of wisdom from real-life students included throughout
- Ties in with the NMC standards for pre-registration education and the Essential Skills Clusters
- Includes activities for the reader throughout to test understanding
“I would recommend this book and also this series of books to student nurses at any point of their training. I have found it an invaluable book which does not blind you with too much information in one go, a pit stop book well worth investing in. I keep a copy in my bag when ever I am on placement.” (Nursing Times, 16 December 2014)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.