How to Succeed at Medical School: An Essential Guide to Learning, 2nd Edition
August 2015, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
Can you show your best abilities in the exams at the same time as learning to be a doctor?
Can you balance your studies with an enjoyable social life?
Can you develop your professionalism and manage your 'digital footprint'?
How to Succeed at Medical School will help you learn these vital skills, and much more.
Written by experienced medical school teachers and packed full of case studies, illustrations, quotes from other students, tip boxes, exercises, portfolios and learning techniques to help you communicate, study and revise - it’s an essential resource to help you thrive at medical school.
This thoroughly updated second edition includes new chapters on Professionalism and Teaching, and provides invaluable insight into what to expect from the start of medical school right through to the start of your medical career.
About the authors vii
Foreword to the first edition ix
Chapter 1 What kind of learner are you? 5
Chapter 2 Learning knowledge 19
Chapter 3 Learning clinical skills 47
Chapter 4 Learning clinical communication skills 68
Chapter 5 Working in a group 100
Chapter 6 Developing your academic writing skills 117
Chapter 7 Portfolios and reflection 125
Chapter 8 Life–work balance 138
Chapter 9 Revision 151
Chapter 10 Exam technique: general rules 162
Chapter 11 Exam technique: specific examples 174
Chapter 12 Teaching, mentoring and coaching: helping others to learn and develop 203
Chapter 13 Professionalism: not as straightforward as you think 224
Chapter 14 Thinking ahead: student-selected components, careers and electives 242
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.