Occupational Therapy in Psychiatry and Mental Health, 5th Edition
September 2014, ©2014, Wiley-Blackwell
Comprehensive and informative, the extensively revised fifth edition of Occupational Therapy in Psychiatry and Mental Health is an accessible overview of occupational therapy in psychiatry, providing key information on a range of international models of occupational therapy as well as their practical applications.
The fifth edition includes:
• Case studies throughout to illustrate application of theory to practice
• Coverage of key concepts and issues in occupational therapy
• New material on emerging areas of practice
• Comprehensive information on assessment and treatment for children, adolescents and adults, covering key mental health conditions
Occupational Therapy in Psychiatry and Mental Health is an ideal resource for students in occupational therapy, newly qualified and experienced practitioners, and other allied health professionals seeking an up-to-date, globally relevant resource on psychiatry and mental health care.
Part 1 Theoretical Concepts in Occupational Therapy 1
1 Creative Ability: A Model for Individual and Group
Occupational Therapy for Clients with Psychosocial Dysfunction
Patricia de Witt
2 The Relevance of Occupational Science to Occupational Therapy
in the Field of Mental Health 33
Lana van Niekerk
3 Ethics, Human Rights and the Law in Mental Health Care
Dain van der Reyden and Rosemary Crouch
4 Cultural Considerations in the Provision of an Occupational
Therapy Service in Mental Health 59
5 Clinical Reasoning in Psychiatric Occupational Therapy
Part 2 Specific Issues in Occupational Therapy 83
6 HIV/AIDS in Psychiatry and Issues Facing Occupational
Therapists Regarding Practice: Moral and Ethical Dilemmas 85
Dain van der Reyden, Robin Joubert and Chantal Christopher
7 Forensic Psychiatry and Occupational Therapy 106
8 Acute Psychiatry and the Dynamic Short-Term Intervention of
the Occupational Therapist 115
Catherine Shorten and Rosemary Crouch
9 Improving Health and Access to Health Services through
Community-Based Rehabilitation 126
10 Care, Treatment and Rehabilitation Programmes for Large
Numbers of Long-Term Mental Health Care Users 148
Kobie Zietsman and Daleen Casteleijn
11 Auxiliary Staff in Mental Health Care: Requirements,
Functions and Supervision 162
Dain van der Reyden
12 Vocational Rehabilitation in Psychiatry and Mental Health
Lyndsey Swart and Tania Buys
13 Psychiatric Occupational Therapy in the Corporate, Insurance
and Medico-legal Sectors 194
14 An Occupational Therapist’s Perspective on Sexuality
and Psychosocial Sexual Rehabilitation 212
Part 3 Occupational Therapy with Children, Adolescents and Adults 227
15 Early Intervention for Young Children at Risk for
Developmental Mental Health Disorders 229
16 Occupational Therapy Intervention with Children with
Psychosocial Disorders 248
17 Interdisciplinary Group Therapy with Children 263
Marita Rademeyer and Deirdre Niehaus
18 Specific Occupational Therapy Intervention with Adolescents
Louise Fouché and Lisa Wegner
19 Sensory Integration in Mental Health 295
Annamarie van Jaarsveld
20 Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder through a
Person’s Lifespan: Occupational Therapy to Enhance Executive
and Social Functioning 319
Ray Anne Cook
21 Trauma and Its Effects on Children, Adolescents and Adults:
The Role of the Occupational Therapist 337
22 Post-traumatic Brain Injury: Handling Behavioural and
Cognitive Changes 356
23 Occupational Therapy for Anxiety, Somatic and
Stressor-related Disorders 368
Madeleine Duncan and Claire Prowse
24 Occupational Therapy with Mood Disorders 389
Madeleine Duncan and Claire Prowse
25 The Treatment of Eating Disorders in Occupational Therapy
Rosemary Crouch and Vivyan Alers
26 Understanding Persons with Personality Disorders:
Intervention in Occupational Therapy 419
27 The Occupational Therapy Approach to the Management of
28 Substance Use and Abuse: Intervention by a Multidisciplinary
Approach Which Includes Occupational Therapy 446
Rosemary Crouch and Lisa Wegner
29 Gerontology, Psychiatry and Occupational Therapy 465
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.