Lecture Notes: Oncology, 3rd Edition
January 2016, ©2015, Wiley-Blackwell
Cancer is one of the most exciting specialties in medicine. This book aspires to convey the authors’ enthusiasm for oncology and this new edition of Oncology Lecture Notes is a must for students and trainees.
There has been a revolution in the practice of oncology. The changes are due to amazing advances in basic science, and the development of new drugs and successful immunisation programmes that have followed. Cancer death rates have fallen and this is in part due to radical new treatments, effective screening programmes, and also, as a result of popular movements for change in patient care, and decreased exposure to carcinogens.
Completely revised and updated, this new edition of Oncology Lecture Notes describes advances in molecular biology research and highlights the importance of patient perspectives in cancer care. The text includes many new figures and tables, an update of molecular biology and highlights new treatments. With learning objectives and key point summaries in each chapter, Oncology Lecture Notes is an ideal introduction to the biological basis and principles of treatment in oncology.
Includes a companion website at www.lecturenoteseries.com/oncology featuring cases and self-assessment MCQs
About the companion website vii
Part 1 Introduction to oncology
1 What is cancer? 3
2 The scientific basis of cancer 22
3 The principles of cancer treatment 52
4 Cancer and people 96
Part 2 Types of cancer
5 Breast cancer 107
6 Central nervous system cancers 116
7 Oesophageal cancer 124
8 Gastric cancer 128
9 Hepatobiliary cancer 132
10 Pancreatic cancer 137
11 Colorectal cancer 143
12 Kidney cancer 151
13 Bladder cancer 156
14 Prostate cancer 161
15 Testis cancer 169
16 Gestational trophoblastic disease 175
17 Cervical cancer 178
18 Endometrial cancer 183
19 Ovarian cancer 186
20 Head and neck cancers 193
21 Thyroid cancer 200
22 Adrenal cancers 203
23 Carcinoid tumours 206
24 Pituitary tumours 210
25 Parathyroid cancers 212
26 Lung cancer 214
27 Mesothelioma 224
28 The leukaemias 227
29 Hodgkin’s lymphoma 238
30 Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma 244
31 Myeloma 252
32 Non-melanoma skin tumours 258
33 Melanoma 264
34 Paediatric solid tumours 271
35 Cancers in teenagers and young adults 279
36 Bone and soft tissue sarcomas 281
37 Cancer of unknown primary 289
38 Immunodeficiency-related cancers 295
Part 3 The practice of oncology
39 Paraneoplastic complications of cancer 303
40 Oncological emergencies 314
41 End of life care 334
42 Cancer survivorship 339
"This book...provides a concise but quite complete overview of what oncology is about.The volume is designed for undergraduate students in medicine, but it can be a useful reading also for early trainees and for students in other life science related fields with an interest in cancer research. More experienced physicians and investigators might find the book useful for teaching purposes...Each chapter is very rich of illustrations, schemes, and tables and is ended with a list of key points. Considering also its low price, the book is recommended. (Hematological Oncology 17th June 2017)
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.