Work in the 21st Century: An Introduction to Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 5th Edition
January 2016, ©2016
Work in the 21st Century, 5th Edition by Frank J. Landy and Jeffrey M. Conte, ties together themes such as diversity, mental and physical ability, personality, interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and evidence-based I-O psychology in a way that explores the rich and intriguing nature of the modern workplace. The 5th edition places an emphasis on the technological and multicultural dynamics of today's workplace. This edition retains the 14-chapter format and the 4-color design, which brings I-O psychology to life, especially with the use of newsworthy color photographs. This text is an unbound, three hole punched version.
Part 1 Fundamentals
1 What Is Industrial and Organizational Psychology? 1
2 Methods and Statistics in I-O Psychology 47
PART 2 INDUSTRIAL PSYCHOLOGY
3 Individual Differences and Assessment 81
4 Job Analysis and Performance 143
5 Performance Measurement 183
6 Staffing Decisions 225
7 Training and Development 257
PART 3 ORGANIZAT IONAL PSYCHOLOGY
8 The Motivation to Work 297
9 Attitudes, Emotions, and Work 333
10 Stress and Worker Well-Being 369
11 Fairness, Justice, and Diversity in the Workplace 413
12 Leadership 441
13 Teams in Organizations 483
14 Organizational Theory, Dynamics, and Change 511
Name Index I-1
Subject Index I-16
- Presents new topics, including corporate social responsibility, big data, mobile assessment, work analysis, neuroscience in leadership, and positive work environments.
- Updates in every chapter, including new or expanded coverage of topics such as emotional intelligence, recommendation letters, adaptive performance, electronic performance monitoring, performance management systems, high performance work practices, social networking and the workplace, corporate universities, and the factors that influence innovation in teams.
- A wealth of new material has been added, and less current material has been removed.
- Modular approach: The text features self-contained sections within chapters, for maximum teaching flexibility. Each module ends with point summaries and key terms.
- Cutting-edge topics and research coverage: Includes the Five Factor Theory of Personality, emotional intelligence, culture and emotions, genetics and job satisfaction, achieving balance between work and non-work, stress and violence, bullying, measuring motivation, integrity testing, entrepreneurship, computer-based assessment, male vs. female leaders, cross cultural teams, and more.
- Emphasis on critical thinking: One of the goals of this book is to show how many of the broad principles of I-O psychology can be applied in situations at work. Thus, the text emphasizes critical thinking, and the Instructor’s Manual includes critical thinking questions that can be used inside or outside of class to help students to think about situations in the workplace and apply the principles and concepts they've learned.
- Case Studies and Boxes provide concrete, contemporary examples of the issues involved in work and behavior in various applied settings.
- Clear, articulate explanations: The clear prose and interesting examples make the book accessible to a wide range of students.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.