Examination of the Newborn: An Evidence-Based Guide, 2nd Edition
August 2015, ©2015, Wiley-Blackwell
- A practical, evidence-based guide for students and practitioners to undertake safe and effective neonatal examination
- Revised and updated throughout in line with current national and Nursing and Midwifery Council guidelines
- Full colour photographs and illustrations, as well as clinical case studies at the end of each chapter to help guide and illustrate good practice
- A new companion website (available at: www.wiley.com/go/lomax/newborn) contains a wealth of information on all aspects of examining the newborn, including safeguarding, early warning systems, and tongue tie, as well as interactive multiple choice questions, and links to videos
List of contributors vii
About the companion website xvii
1 History taking and the newborn examination: an evolving perspective 1
2 Cardiovascular and respiratory assessment of the baby 32
Christopher D. Bedford and Anne Lomax
3 The neonatal skin: examination of the jaundiced newborn and gestational age assessment 71
Morris Gordon and Anne Lomax
4 Examination of the head, neck and eyes 104
Carmel Noonan, Fiona J. Rowe, and Anne Lomax
5 Examination of the newborn abdomen and genitalia 124
6 Developmental dysplasia of the hip and abnormalities of the foot 142
Robin W. Paton and Naomi Davis
7 Chromosomal and genetic problems: giving feedback to mothers and fathers 171
Delyth Webb and Anne Lomax
8 Newborn behavioural aspects 192
9 Examination of the newborn: professional issues in practice 213
Norma Fryer and Claire Evans
Appendix 1 Useful website addresses 229
Appendix 2 NIPE Information leaflet for mothers and fathers 232
Glossary of terms 238
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.