Matter and Interactions, Volume I: Modern Mechanics, 4th Edition
January 2015, ©2015
Volume One includes chapters 1-12.
1 Interactions and Motion
2 The Momentum Principle
3 The Fundamental Interactions
4 Contact Interactions
5 Determining Forces from Motion
6 The Energy Principle
7 Internal Energy
8 Energy Quantization
9 Translational, Rotational, and Vibrational Energy
11 Angular Momentum
12 Entropy: Limits on the Possible
The Supplements can be found at the web site, ww.wiley.com/college/chabay
Supplement S1 Gases and Heat Engines S1-1
Supplement S2 Semiconductor Devices S2-1
Supplement S3 Waves S3-1
- Online Homework – now all of the end-of-chapter problems are available for assignment with the WebAssign online homework system.
- Instructor Solutions Manual – The new edition is accompanied by a complete instructor solutions manual.
- NEW Student Solutions Manual – contains full solutions to a selection of end-of-chapter problems.
- Increased support for computational modeling throughout.
- Discussion throughout the text contrasting iterative and analytical problem solutions.
- Many new computational modeling problems – large and small.
- Improved discussion throughout of the contrast between models of a system as a point particle and as an extended system.
- Improved discussion of the Momentum Principle throughout Volume 1.
- More extensive problem sets at the end of each chapter, with improved indication of difficulty level.
Computer Modeling: Computer modeling is now as important as theory and experiments in contemporary science and engineering. Computer modeling is introduced early to help build a strong foundation in the use of this important tool.
Experiments Using Simple Equipment: Some end-of-chapter problems involve experiments using simple equipment such as weights, string, coffee filters, scotch tape, etc. By experimenting with very simple equipment, students can gain insight into rather deep scientific issues.
Active Learning: Stop and Think questions are interspersed throughout the reading to encourage students to engage the material more deeply.
Lab Activities: There is a complete set of lab activities that were written specifically for a Matter & Interactions-style course.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.