How the Endocrine System Works, 2nd Edition
March 2016, ©2015, Wiley-Blackwell
How the Endocrine System Works is not another standard introduction to endocrinology, but an innovative and fun way to learn about the importance of the key glands in the human body and the hormones they control. It is explained in 9 easy-to-understand lectures, with additional material on the treatment and management of endocrine disorders.
How the Endocrine System Works:
• Is designed for those in need of a concise introduction to this fascinating area of medicine
• Has been rigorously updated to reflect today’s endocrinology teaching
• Includes more focus on the treatment and management of endocrine disorders
• Features more on evidence-based medicine, obesity, epidemiology, and biostatistics
• Includes summaries of key research which affects diagnostic criteria
• Includes brand new case-based review questions at the end of each chapter
• Features full-color diagrams throughout
How the Endocrine System Works is the perfect introduction for all medical students, as well as for students of bioscience, and other healthcare disciplines.
How to Use this Book ix
LECTURE 1 An Overview 1
LECTURE 2 Pituitary and Hypothalamus 13
LECTURE 3 The Thyroid 25
LECTURE 4 Adrenal Gland 39
LECTURE 5 Glucose Metabolism 53
LECTURE 6 Calcium Metabolism 77
LECTURE 7 Reproductive Endocrinology 91
LECTURE 8 Lipid Disorders 105
LECTURE 9 Disorders of Multiple Endocrine Glands and Paraneoplastic Syndromes 115
APPENDIX Clinical Trials, Evidence-Based Medicine, and Reading the Literature 119
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.