The ADA Practical Guide to Patients with Medical Conditions, 2nd Edition
October 2015, ©2016, Wiley-Blackwell
With new medications, medical therapies, and increasing numbers of older and medically complex patients seeking dental care, all dentists, hygienists, and students must understand the intersection of common diseases, medical management, and dental management to coordinate and deliver safe care.
This new second edition updates all of the protocols and guidelines for treatment and medications and adds more information to aid with patient medical assessments, and clearly organizes individual conditions under three headings: background, medical management, and dental management. Written by more than 25 expert academics and clinicians, this evidence-based guide takes a patient-focused approach to help you deliver safe, coordinated oral health care for patients with medical conditions.
Other sections contain disease descriptions, pathogenesis, coordination of care between the dentist and physician, and key questions to ask the patient and physician.
Accessing Dr. Glick’s Medical Support Website v
1 Medical History, Physical Evaluation, and Risk Assessment 1
Lauren L. Patton
2 Cardiovascular Diseases 25
Wendy S. Hupp
3 Pulmonary Disease 43
Miriam R. Robbins
4 Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders 71
Terry D. Rees
5 Kidney Disease 101
William M. Carpenter and Darren P. Cox
6 Hepatic Disease 121
Juan F. Yepes
7 Gastrointestinal Disease 135
Brian C. Muzyka
8 Hematological Disease 153
Bhavik Desai and Thomas P. Sollecito
9 Bleeding Disorders 183
Dena J. Fischer, Matthew S. Epstein, and Joel B. Epstein
10 Autoimmune and Connective Tissue Diseases 201
Scott S. De Rossi and Katharine N. Ciarrocca
11 Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome and Related Conditions 231
Lauren L. Patton
12 Immunological and Mucocutaneous Disease 259
Dawnyetta R. Marable and Michael T. Brennan
13 Head and Neck Cancer 273
Steven M. Roser, Steven R. Nelson, Srinivasa Rama Chandra, and Kelly R. Magliocca
14 Neurological Disorders 299
Robert G. Henry
15 Neurodevelopmental and Psychiatric Disorders 325
Maureen Munnelly Perry and Nancy J. Dougherty
16 Substance Use Disorders 351
Abdel Rahim Mohammad
17 Developmental Defects of the Craniofacial Complex and Orthopedic Disorders 381
J. Timothy Wright, Michael Milano, and Luiz Andre Pimenta
18 Geriatric Health and Functional Issues 405
Janet A. Yellowitz
19 Women’s Health 423
Linda C. Niessen
20 Medical Emergencies 451
Lauren L. Patton
21 Medical Screening/Assessment in the Dental Office 465
Barbara L. Greenberg and Michael Glick
Appendix: List of Common Drugs 485
About the Editors
Lauren L. Patton, DDS, is Professor and Chair, Department of Dental Ecology, School of Dentistry,
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Michael Glick, DMD, is Professor and Dean, School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York
at Buffalo, New York. He also serves as the Editor of The Journal of the American Dental Association.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.