Advanced Paediatric Life Support: A Practical Approach to Emergencies, 6th Edition
April 2016, ©2016, Wiley-Blackwell
Advanced Paediatric Life Support is the internationally renowned manual on emergency paediatric care, written to support the course run by the Advanced Life Support Group. Using their structured approach, a tried and tested practical method of treating children during the crucial first few hours of a life threatening illness or injury, Advanced Paediatric Life Support is used by doctors, nurses and allied health professionals dealing with emergencies in children. Its clear layout and straightforward style make it a highly practical tool both for training and in the event of an emergency.
The sixth edition includes major new features bringing it right up to date, including:
- The latest International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) 2015 Guidelines
- The latest consensus guidelines on paediatric trauma
- Enhanced discussions on the importance of human factors
- A new and improved design including full colour photographs and diagrams
- Free access to the Wiley E-Text
With this book at hand, all those providing care during paediatric emergencies can be confident in having comprehensive and authoritative guidance on the recognition and management of life threatening conditions necessary to save a child's life.
Clinical conditions list vii
Working group x
Preface to the first edition xvii
Preface to the sixth edition xix
Contact details and further information xxi
How to use your textbook xxii
PART 1: Introduction 1
1 Introduction 3
2 Structured approach to paediatric emergencies 13
3 Human factors 23
PART 2: The seriously ill child 33
4 Structured approach to the seriously ill child 35
5 The child with breathing difficulties 49
6 The child in shock 67
7 The child with an abnormal pulse rate or rhythm 81
8 The child with a decreased conscious level 89
9 The convulsing child 99
PART 3: The seriously injured child 107
10 Introduction to the seriously injured child 109
11 Structured approach to the seriously injured child 115
12 The child with chest injury 127
13 The child with abdominal injury 135
14 The child with traumatic brain injury 139
15 The child with injuries to the extremities or the spine 147
16 The burned or scalded child 155
17 The child with an electrical injury or drowning 161
PART 4: Life support 167
18 Basic life support 169
19 Support of the airway and ventilation 185
20 Management of cardiac arrest 199
PART 5: Practical application of APLS 209
21 Practical procedures: airway and breathing 211
22 Practical procedures: circulation 225
23 Practical procedures: trauma 239
24 Imaging in trauma 249
25 Structured approach to stabilisation and transfer 255
PART 6: Appendices 267
Appendix A Acid–base balance 269
Appendix B Fluid and electrolyte management 281
Appendix C Child abuse and neglect 291
Appendix D When a child dies 299
Appendix E General approach to poisoning and envenomation 303
Appendix F Resuscitation of the baby at birth 317
Appendix G Formulary 333
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.