Human Biological Aging: From Macromolecules To Organ Systems
April 2016, ©2016, Wiley-Blackwell
Comprehension of the theories of aging requires rudimentary knowledge of oxidation and reduction reactions, protein function, cell organelles, mitosis, acquired immunity, and evolution, among other basic biological concepts. Without these fundamentals, students of biological aging struggle to learn the essentials of biological aging and how to appreciate the research advances in the field.
Human Biological Aging: From Macromolecules To Organ-Systems is an introduction to human aging from the level of macromolecules to organ systems. Age changes in proteins, DNA, polysaccharides and lipids are discussed relative to known age-related alterations in structure and function produced by free radicals and oxidants. At the cellular level, age-dependent mechanisms that diminish organelle function are described. Cellular phenomena of replicative senescence apoptosis, autophagy and neuroplasticity are detailed as to their contribution to compromised cellular functions.Authored by a leader in the field, Human Biological Aging: From Macromolecules To Organ-Systems is an invaluable introduction for those studying human aging.
About the Companion Website ix
Section I THE FOUNDATION 1
1 ORIENTATION 3
2 MEASUREMENTS AND MODELS 17
3 EVOLUTIONARY THEORIES OF AGING 35
Section II BASIC COMPONENTS 47
4 AGING OF MACROMOLECULES 53
5 AGING OF CELLS 77
Section III ORGAN SYSTEMS: OUTER COVERING AND MOVEMENT: INTEGUMENTARY, SKELETAL MUSCLES, AND SKELETAL SYSTEMS 101
6 AGING OF THE INTEGUMENTARY SYSTEM 103
7 AGING OF THE SKELETAL MUSCLE SYSTEM 123
8 AGING OF THE SKELETAL SYSTEM 143
Section IV INTERNAL ORGAN SYSTEMS: CARDIOVASCULAR, PULMONARY, GASTROINTESTINAL, AND URINARY SYSTEMS 163
9 AGING OF THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM 165
10 AGING OF THE PULMONARY SYSTEM 193
11 AGING OF THE GASTROINTESTINAL AND URINARY SYSTEMS 207
Section V REGULATORY ORGAN SYSTEMS: CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, SENSORY, ENDOCRINE, AND IMMUNE SYSTEMS 223
12 AGING OF THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM 225
13 AGING OF THE SENSORY SYSTEM 255
14 AGING OF THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM 275
15 AGING OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM 303
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource and accessed via the VitalSource Bookshelf reader, available online and via a downloadable app.
- Wiley E-Texts are accessible online and offline, and can be read on a variety of devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Wiley E-Texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- Wiley E-Texts are protected by DRM. For specific DRM policies, please refer to our FAQ.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with any Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley E-Texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.